War Between Kitchen Stylists and Professional Stylists?
Latest posts by LaToya Harris (see all)
Last year, I stumbled upon an internet post that contained a heated conversation between a “kitchen” stylist and professional stylist. The post questioned the professionalism and expertise of kitchen stylists because they work out of the house. It was eye-opening to me because I always thought it was more of the customer’s choice on which type of stylist they preferred, but I guess it’s a cut-throat industry.
For those of you who do not know, kitchen stylists are people who do hair out of their house. It is a popular choice to use the kitchen, so that’s where the term “kitchen” came from. In my opinion, if I am going to let Tamika (whose braiding skills are through the roof) do my hair in her house, there are certain things that I have to take into consideration. I know I’m not going to necessarily have the same type of service I would have if I was at a salon.
On the other hand, I don’t expect for the stylist to be eating and carrying on like I’m not there. By the way, I’ve had that experience before with both salon and kitchen stylists. There is an understanding that if I hire Tamika who is working out of her kitchen, the biggest benefit will be be that my hair will look like it was done at a salon for a cheaper price.
The professional stylist on the post made the point of saying that if you hire a kitchen stylist, they will not know how to do things like sanitize their tools the correct way. While she has a point and this is one of the things to consider when making the decision of whether to hire a kitchen stylist, it can’t be assumed. Let’s not forget to mention that they might be a licensed cosmetologist and not have a shop.
There are benefits to both kitchen and salon stylists. It depends on what you, the customer wants. Good research and asking questions can help you prevent trouble in the end. I guess the battle will always exist between kitchen and salon stylists, but we have love for them both!
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- The Real Deal: 4 Critical Features to Look For in a Natural Hair Salon
- Choosing A Natural Hairstylist
- Female Pattern Baldness and Alopecia – The 411 for Naturals
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- My Deva Chan Salon Experience- Transitioning Hair Cut
- How Social Media Can Change the Game for Bad Hair Service
- An Easy Flat Twist Style for You to Try [Video]
- Alicia Keys Sports Braids Decorated with Gold Cuffs
- Guest Post: Five Reasons Why YouTube Is Dangerous For Your Natural Afro Hair
- Lavender Essential Oil Recipes for Natural Hair Growth
- Taraji P. Henson’s New Cut Is Everything
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace