Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
Latest posts by LaToya Harris (see all)
Back in 2013, 12-year-old Vanessa VanDyke was threatened by her school to be suspended for wearing her natural hair. Even though the Florida student and her mother, Sabrina Kent received support from people around the world, Vanessa’s self-esteem began to decline. In addition to her school’s threats, the young girl was being bullied by her peers about her natural hair. Today, Vanessa VanDyke and her mom are singing a whole new tune!
Imagine if you were Vanessa’s mom. How would you respond? What what you do? You would probably be angry and upset, and you would probably try and get to the bottom of things. Well, Kent (who is also natural) was inspired to start her own natural hair care line called Vanessa’ s Essence Natural Hair Care. “I made this company for her and her benefit and also for the benefit of all the girls in the world with natural hair, “Sabrina told the hosts of “The Real“. Ms. Vandyke’s iconic picture of her with a yellow flower in her hair was the inspiration for the Vanessa’s Essence logo.
In addition to natural hair care, Vanessa and her mother use their hair care website to speak out against bullying. The Vanessa’s Essence website says, “The effects that bullying can have on someone’s self-esteem and their confidence is incredible, and we want to help others know that people are listening.” On the same page, the website lists the names and ages of children who lost their lives as a result of bullying.
Vanessa Vandyke is now 15 years old and still rocking her natural hair! She is a model, violinist, artist, and entrepreneur. Her Instagram account also says that she is an actress. Kudos to her and her mother, Sabrina! Together, they’ve helped to inspire girls and women around the world to keep rocking their natural hair, and that is awesome!
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Self Esteem and Natural Hair: Empowering Young Girls To Love Their Kinks and Curls
- Eight Year Old Girl Suffers Severe Scalp Damage From Bullies For Weaving Her Natural Hair- VIDEO
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- Why It’s Wrong to Call Your Hair Nappy
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- Mother Teaches Her Daughter To Be Wary of “Artificial” Beauty -Video
- Giving Our Black Babies A “Head” Start
- Video: 3-Year-Old Encourages Dad While He Does Her Natural Hair
- A Black Doll with Crossover Appeal – Building Our Children’s Self Esteem and Educating The Masses
- A Must Read For Natural Hair Nazis
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace