We’re Here for the #BlackHairChallenge
In a society that’s not quick to celebrate all things related to black beauty, black people often have to take the lead in celebrating themselves. Whether it’s loudly proclaiming “I’m Black and I’m Proud” along with James Brown or no longer beating our curls and kinks into submission, today’s black pride movement is able to reach much farther and wider than ever before thanks to social media.
What’s the #BlackHairChallenge?
In light of fostering more positivity surrounding black hair, Twitter user @melaninmamis created this challenge as a way for people of color to share photos of themselves sporting various hairstyles (four, to be exact). Twitter users took to the social media platform in droves, with many of them showing off their natural texture. In doing so, it’s easy to see just how incredibly versatile our hair can be. From braids to afros to pixie cuts and weaves, black women (and some men!) had a blast demonstrating the huge range of looks our hair can create.
Many users couldn’t stop at just four images, however, so a lot of multi-photo collages can also be seen with the hashtag. After all, how many hairstyles have you worn in the past month? Or year? Probably many more than four! Why not show them all off?
Making Our Beauty Go Viral
When black beauty goes viral, especially as it relates to black hair — which can still be such a politically charged subject — it contributes to a more diverse definition of beauty. It shows that there’s way more than one type of beautiful and acceptable hair texture in our culture, or at least that there should be. Black folks have to take the lead in showcasing our beauty because who else is going to do it? We have to demonstrate an appreciation and love for our hair and skin before we expect anyone else to.
As Melanin Mamis said: “This hashtag bleeds confidence, support, good vibes and infinite possibilities.” And we’re here for it.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- A Must Read For Natural Hair Nazis
- Female Pattern Baldness and Alopecia – The 411 for Naturals
- OK Ladies Now Let’s Get “In FORMATION”
- So You Want To Go Natural?
- Dr. Yaba Blay Talks Black Hair Politics
- You’ve Heard it Before But Worth Repeating – Tips To Avoid Hairline Damage
- My Reaction to the POPSUGAR “Natural Hair” Article
- The New Age Hair Revolution
- The Power of the Afro Flower
- Play Untangles Mystery of Black Women’s Hair
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question