Tennessee’s First Natural Hair School Celebrates Its 100% Pass Rate
Latest posts by LaToya Harris (see all)
- 5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident - August 12, 2017
- 5 Ways to Make Money in the Natural Hair Industry - August 8, 2017
- My Reaction to the POPSUGAR “Natural Hair” Article - July 26, 2017
The Institute of Beauty in the Bartlett, Tennessee can shout for joy! In 2016, the school became the first natural hair school to open its doors in the state. In addition, the students who’ve graduated have passed their state board exam, resulting in a 100% licensing rate.
The school opened on June 2, 2016, with a class of 20 students, and the number grew. In an interview with WREG Channel 3 News, owner of the Institute of Beauty, Tamika Turner said, “Our goal was to have 20 students. Now we have 24 students, and we have 15 students on the waiting list.” Last fall, WBRC Fox 6 News reported that the students passed their state board exam. The TN Board of Cosmetology requires that students spend 1,500 hours of practical and theory.
IOBTN’s 1500-hour program consists of 17.5 weeks. Half of those weeks are spent in the classroom while the other half is spent in a salon. After the first half of the course is completed, students must take the theory section of their state board exam. Once the students complete it, they can move onto their apprenticeship. During that time, students enter professional salons to get experience doing hair.
When the remaining hours are completed, the students will take the practical section of their exam. At the Institute of Beauty, students are trained in natural hair care, braids, sewn-ins, crochets, silk-presses, and hair loss treatments.
Pictures of IOBTN’s students along with congratulatory messages can be found on the school’s Facebook page, and we think that’s awesome! Kudos to Turner and her crew!
Their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Institute-of-Beauty-LLC-111927232674757/
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Video: Was It a Really Bad Camera Timing or Was QVC Hosts Mocking Natural Hair Model?
- 5 Ways to Make Money in the Natural Hair Industry
- My Reaction to the POPSUGAR “Natural Hair” Article
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- Does Natural Hair Make You More Black?
- Retired Veteran Is Teaching Young Women To Love Their Natural Hair
- Are Black Women with Natural Hair Being Overcharged at Hair Salons?
- Single Dad Shatters Stereotypes About Hairstyling
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
- My Natural Hair Story
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace