My Reaction to the POPSUGAR “Natural Hair” Article
Latest posts by LaToya Harris (see all)
- Tia Mowry Reminds Us Why She is a Natural Hair Guru! - January 15, 2018
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth - January 9, 2018
- 4 Videos That Show You How to Draw Natural Hair - January 6, 2018
On June 18th, POPSUGAR posted an article about natural hair but did not feature one Black woman. This has a lot of people’s blood boiling! So, what is wrong with this picture? First, we had to read about folks calling Bantu Knots, mini buns . Then, we watched Shea Moisture do a commercial about natural hair and leave out coiled textured hair. The problem with these pictures is the same as Egyptian movies that only contain white actors. Whitewashing.
The article originally titled “These 3 Women are Making a Serious Case for Rocking Your Natural Hair”, featured 3 white women talking about how they came to embrace their “natural hair.” Each woman’s hair was in the category of thick, frizzy, or “textured”. After POPSUGAR received backlash, they changed the title to “These 3 Women are Making a Serious Case for Not Processing Their Hair.” Good job.
The thing I’m trying to understand is how did the publication do this. I know I shouldn’t even be surprised. Surely, they know that the natural hair movement refers to women of color not perming their hair. Also, along with it comes the weight of being discriminated against because you don’t fit a European standard of beauty. This has occurred throughout history. That struggle is missing from the article. Women of color are missing from the article.
When you go on the “Natural Hair” section of the site, it contains several articles about Black women and natural hair. This brings us to the following questions: What is the reason for excluding Black women from the very thing they’ve lead?
My 19-year-old niece’s first reaction to the article was to laugh! She asked me was it from a satirical site. When I told her it wasn’t her eyes widened. “Well, it looks like a joke. They specifically had a photo shoot for it too!” she laughed.
By now, I guess we should never be shocked that we’re excluded. If you look at history, you would see the pattern. This makes sites like the Natural Haircare News even more necessary! Take note, POPSUGAR!
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
- Why It’s Wrong to Call Your Hair Nappy
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- Girl Forced to Dye Her Natural Hair
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- Husband’s Shocking Reaction to His Wife Perming Her Natural Hair!
- Dr. Yaba Blay Talks Black Hair Politics
- Kelis Gives Herself a New Haircut!
- Fans in Disbelief that Angela Simmons’ Natural Hair is Hers?
- A Must Read For Natural Hair Nazis
- Black Hair Education: The Key To Ending Discrimination?
- Video: Was It a Really Bad Camera Timing or Was QVC Hosts Mocking Natural Hair Model?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question