5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident
Latest posts by LaToya Harris (see all)
- 5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident - August 12, 2017
- 5 Ways to Make Money in the Natural Hair Industry - August 8, 2017
- My Reaction to the POPSUGAR “Natural Hair” Article - July 26, 2017
1. Let them know it’s not their fault. Have a talk with your child, and let them know the incident is not their fault. It is imperative they know there is nothing wrong with them. It’s the individual or individuals’ problem for not accepting the hair that grows from your child’s scalp. Use similar personal experiences and news stories as examples to help your child see they’re not alone.
2. Demonstrate your love for them and their natural hair. Tell your child how much you love their natural hair, and encourage family and friends to do the same. Demonstrate your love by taking your time with their hair and showing them it is not a chore to do. For example, when I was a child, my grandmother used to tell me she thought my stylist was going to love to love doing my hair because it was thick.
3. Show them positive images of themselves and people like them. Show your child items like coloring books, dolls, cartoons and other activities that encourage them to love themselves, especially their natural hair. For example, you could buy your daughter a doll that looks like her and has a similar hair hair texture.
4. Don’t dwell on it. If your child is going to get past their negative natural hair experience, they cannot dwell on it. After the negative hair incident is handled, try putting more energy into the actions above.
5. Seek professional counseling. If you have done all you can, you might want to consider seeking professional counseling for your child. They will know what to do and say to help your child start the healing process.
Author: LaToya Harris
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
- Eight Year Old Girl Suffers Severe Scalp Damage From Bullies For Weaving Her Natural Hair- VIDEO
- Self Esteem and Natural Hair: Empowering Young Girls To Love Their Kinks and Curls
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- What do you think? Is Chemically Straightening Your Child’s Hair Child Abuse?
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- Teaching Our Children to Love Their Hair
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- Engage Your Daughter on Her Natural Hair Journey – Here’s How
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- A Black Doll with Crossover Appeal – Building Our Children’s Self Esteem and Educating The Masses
- Video: 3-Year-Old Encourages Dad While He Does Her Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace