The Effects of Celebrity Natural Hair Stylists’ Presence on Social Media
Latest posts by LaToya Harris (see all)
- Carolina “Miss Rizos” Contreras Opens a Natural Hair Salon in the Dominican Republic! - February 27, 2018
- BBC News Covers Stylists’ Concerns Due to Shift to Natural Hair - February 22, 2018
- YouTuber Does Big Chop in Vietnam! - February 12, 2018
In my 2013 interview with actress Ella Joyce, she told me she witnessed stylists on set who didn’t know how to do Black hair. Besides the absence of the natural hair movement, this would explain why we didn’t see more actresses wearing their natural hair on camera until now. Because of social media, today we see great celebrity hair stylists who specialize in natural hair. The effects of this goes far beyond great hairstyles.
Imagine being an actress in the 90s and sitting in a stylist’s chair on set, and the stylist proceeds to comb your dry hair harshly. In that moment, you found out the stylist didn’t know how to handle natural hair. This was the reality for many actresses, including Ella Joyce up until a few years ago. When coaching actresses, Joyce said she advised them to be prepared when going on set because the stylist was probably not going to know how to do natural hair.
In addition, Joyce herself said she had a natural hair stylist that traveled with her, and it looks like other celebrities like Issa Rae, Teyonah Parris, and Taraji P. Henson and others have also gotten hip to the game. They hire stylists who can take care of their natural hair. Social media has opened a lot of doors for celebrity stylists and their clients to showcase their work.
We will take celebrity natural hairstylist Felicia Leatherwood for instance. She has been credited for doing stars’ hair like Issa Rae, Skai Jackson, and Sonequa Martin-Green. Her work can be seen all over social media. Back in 2013, Teyonah Parris had everybody and their momma in the natural hair community talking when she wore her hair in an updo for the SAG awards. The style was done by Leatherwood. Pictures were all over social media of the style. Not only does Felicia Leatherwood, like most other hairstylists share pictures of her clients’ hair, but her clients also share her work.
Thank God, this is not like the old days where you had to look in the phonebook for a stylist or ask a friend. Now, celebrities and the rest of us can see the work for ourselves. This decreases the chances of showing up on set or anywhere else and having a traumatic hair experience! When it comes to hairstylists in general on social media, word travels fast. The popularity of celebrity natural hairstylists on social media are proof of that!
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Kelis Gives Herself a New Haircut!
- Fans in Disbelief that Angela Simmons’ Natural Hair is Hers?
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- Tia Mowry-Hardrict Embraces Her Natural Curls, Credits Her Son As Her Inspiration
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- Husband’s Shocking Reaction to His Wife Perming Her Natural Hair!
- Lupita Supports Kheris Rogers’ “Flexin’ In My Complexion” Campaign
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
- Natural Hair Care- the Rise of Natural Hair Products from the Era of Madam CJ Walker to Present
- YouTuber Does Big Chop in Vietnam!
- Tia Mowry Reminds Us Why She is a Natural Hair Guru!
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question