Woman Forgoes Sleeping Cap with Black Woman On It and Pays More (Story Time & Lesson)
- Black Women’s Reactions to 90’s Hair Products Echoes That of Many Naturals - April 19, 2018
- Zendaya Lets Us Know the Difference BetweenWeaves, Wigs, and Extensions - April 14, 2018
- Woman Shaves Head Bald After Weave Damaged Her Scalp - April 5, 2018
I went to a discount store and witnessed a white woman, who looked about 80 years old asking a store worker for a sleeping cap. The store worker, who looked like she could have been 19 or 20 years old lead the customer to the aisle with the natural hair products better known as the “Ethnic Section.”
She pointed to a package with a Black woman wearing a bonnet on the front. Just as the customer was about to speak, the manager, who had been watching from a distance apologized to her. Then, she showed her a section of sleeping caps with white women on the packaging.The funny part about it all was the sleeping cap the women purchased was $3.29 and the bonnet was $2.99. She could have spent less money for basically the same product.
When selling products, there is always a target market. If you’re buying natural hair products you’re going to buy products that appeal to you. The customer identified with the white woman on the package, so she bought the sleeping cap. However, if both products were sitting on a shelf side by side with nothing on the front, she probably would have chosen the less expensive item.
Another element in selling a product is the wording on the packaging. We refer to “sleeping caps” as “bonnets” in the natural hair community. In the 1800s French women often wore bonnets like hats. The words “Sleeping caps” to the customer meant something that could protect her hair at night.” Bonnets” to the natural hair/ Black hair community means the same thing.
My analysis of this experience at a store helped me to really think more about natural hair products and the people who buy them.
Author: LaToya Harris
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.
You May Also Like:
- NHCN Podcast 0019: The Lucrative Hair Weave Market
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Zendaya Lets Us Know the Difference Between Weaves, Wigs, and Extensions
- New Natural Haircare Product Promises “Curls That Won’t Back Down”
- The Importance Of Curl Typing And How To Make It Work For You
- How to Dispel Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- The Quest for the Perfect Curl?
- Sonequa Martin-Green Appears on the Cover of Entertainment Weekly Rocking Her Natural Hair
- Five year old Maleigha’s Natural Hair Salon Adventure
- Taking Split Ends To Task – Do You Really Have To Cut Split Ends?
- RIP Titi Branch – Co Founder of Miss Jessie’s Products
- Natural Hair in the Workplace – Why You Still Can’t Wear It