3 Reasons We Love Amara La Negra
If you haven’t heard of the breakout star from the new season of Love & Hip Hop Miami, Amara La Negra, you will now. She is the dark-skinned Dominican beauty who’s been shutting down critics who dare to question her appearance. On the premiere episode, Amara La Negra is seen in a meeting with the music producer called “Young Hollywood” where he implied that her afro was not elegant. He stated that she should look “a little bit more Beyoncé, a little less Macy Gray.” Her response to him garnered three of the reasons we currently love Amara La Negra.
1. She Embraces her Heritage
While some may not know what it means to be an Afro-Latina, Amara La Negra proudly identifies as such. Amara became visibly upset when “Young Hollywood” went on to make light of how “serious” she is about her Afro-Latina identity. She checked his outdated attitude by questioning his validity as a producer, and we were all here for it.
2. She Gets It
After “Young Hollywood” expressed that the industry was looking for a “cookie cutter” artist, Amara stated, “Not all Latinas look like J.Lo or Sofía Vergara or Shakira, so where are the women that look like myself?” After setting him straight, she promptly left the meeting uncompromised and with her dignity still intact. She announced to the world that Latinas who look like her do exist and need to be represented in the mainstream media as well.
3. Her Big Afro
In an industry that is constantly pressuring artists to wear long and straight hair, Amara did not succumb to the pressure. Her Instagram page is full of gorgeous pictures highlighting her chocolate brown skin and big curls. Refusing to be categorized as just a gimmick, Amara uses her natural hair to shine regardless of prejudice.
Amara La Negra took a moment of discrimination to challenge racial bias head-on by saying she was “extremely proud” of her brown skin and of the way “her hair curls” and that no one was going to take that from her. It is all the reasons we love her.
Author: Yvette G.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- Carolina “Miss Rizos” Contreras Opens a Natural Hair Salon in the Dominican Republic!
- Natural Hair Beauties that are Making a Difference!
- Tia Mowry Reminds Us Why She is a Natural Hair Guru!
- Tyra Banks: My Natural Hair Almost Caused My Career
- Erica Campbell Makes Case for Going Natural!
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- Sonequa Martin-Green Appears on the Cover of Entertainment Weekly Rocking Her Natural Hair
- Hair Love: Torrei Hart’s Natural Hair Care Line
- Fans in Disbelief that Angela Simmons’ Natural Hair is Hers?
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question