Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years
Latest posts by Qiana Williams (see all)
- Don’t Touch My Hair- The Obsession with Black Women’s Hair From Other Races - August 16, 2018
- Growth Tracking the Natural Hair Industry Over the Last Five Years - June 3, 2018
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere - May 17, 2018
Jill entered the commercial music scene during a wave of naturally celebrated “neo-soul” artists- like India Arie, Anthony Hamilton and Erykah Badu. Rocking her kinky comb-out, adorned with flowers and lovingly referred to as “Jilly from Philly”, Jill stepped in as the girl-next-door and raised the bar in the world of natural hairstyles- without even trying.
Besides dominating the music charts with her sultry and soulful voice, she was one of the first commercial artists in this genre to take the natural hair lifestyle to a whole new level. As Jill’s career and brand expanded into acting and modeling, she continued to shake up the beauty world with break-the-mold-natural hairstyles.
We have seen Jill rock a plethora of styles on and off the red carpet over the years. The kinky curly, slicked back pixie, a variety of braided styles or half braided/half out looks, topknots, soft swept glamorous updos, flowing curls, sleek straight styles, fluffy pompadours and dewy fros are some favorite picks.
We’ve seen Jill with a short, cropped fro, adorned with curly, flowing tresses, killing faux locs and slaying long and straight hair in Hollywood. No matter the look, Jill’s choices of natural styles remain on point and continue to inspire naturalistas around the globe.
It’s no secret that Jill’s eye for style is exceptional. This simply highlights that natural is anything but boring! Jill has continued to push the limits on her style choices and through doing so, has become the natural girl’s hairstyle icon. From the looks of it, Ms. Scott shows no signs of stopping.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Carolina “Miss Rizos” Contreras Opens a Natural Hair Salon in the Dominican Republic!
- Tia Mowry Reminds Us Why She is a Natural Hair Guru!
- 3 Reasons We Love Amara La Negra
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- Sonequa Martin-Green Appears on the Cover of Entertainment Weekly Rocking Her Natural Hair
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- Hair Love: Torrei Hart’s Natural Hair Care Line
- Erica Campbell Makes Case for Going Natural!
- Kelis Gives Herself a New Haircut!
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- Atlanta Photography Duo Kahran and Regis Bethencourt Post “AfroArt” Photos of Natural Girls and go Viral
- Fans in Disbelief that Angela Simmons’ Natural Hair is Hers?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question