BBC News Covers Stylists’ Concerns Due to Shift to Natural Hair
Latest posts by LaToya Harris (see all)
- Black Women’s Reactions to 90’s Hair Products Echoes That of Many Naturals - April 19, 2018
- Zendaya Lets Us Know the Difference BetweenWeaves, Wigs, and Extensions - April 14, 2018
- Woman Shaves Head Bald After Weave Damaged Her Scalp - April 5, 2018
The possible extinction of relaxers in stores is a hot topic, but what about stylists who specialize in relaxed styles? In a BBC News article titled “Why Ghana’s natural hair fashion is bad for business, writer Rebecca Tsotsoo Kwei explores the natural hair movement’s effect on stylists in Ghana.
The natural hair lifestyle is global and has affected stylists in ways they never could imagine. Kwei said, “Across Ghana, hairdressers specialising in perms, Jheri curl, leisure curls and European-style hair extensions are struggling to fill their salons.” Two of the stylists who were interviewed experienced a decrease in their customers. However, one of the stylists managed to adjust their strategy by selling natural hair products.
In addition to seeing a drastic decline in customers, the BBC News article also talks about stylists losing money because of the chemicals that are not being used on customers. It said, “The chemicals she has invested her hard-earned cash in lie unused, in danger of going to waste.”
The positive effects of natural hair on stylists who specialize in it were also discussed in the article. There were stylists who’ve seen an increase in business to their salons. One of the salon owners interviewed was located not too far from one of the stylists who was losing business due to customers’ switch to natural hair.
The BBC News article about natural hair in Ghana is eye-opening and reminds us that women all over the planet are embracing their God-given strands. It’s also clear that if the stylists who specialize in relaxed styles will have to find ways to adapt if they want to stay in business.
Author: LaToya Harris
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- How to Work Through the Highs and Lows of the Natural Hair Journey
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- The Natural Hair Journey- How to Begin the Process of Going Natural
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- NHCN Podcast #0023: Nubia’s Guide to Going Natural: A Conversation with Orjanette Bryant
- How Social Media Can Change the Game for Bad Hair Service
- Embracing My Natural Crown
- 8 Really Good Reasons To Stop Straightening Your Hair and Go Natural
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- You Don’t Need a License to Style Natural Hair?
- The Politics Behind Natural Hair- What Kind of Statement am I Making?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair