Natural Hair Care- the Rise of Natural Hair Products from the Era of Madam CJ Walker to Present
Latest posts by Qiana Williams (see all)
- Natural Hair Care- the Rise of Natural Hair Products from the Era of Madam CJ Walker to Present - March 13, 2018
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening - February 27, 2018
- Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years - January 30, 2018
The story of Sarah Breedlove- aka Madam CJ Walker- and her rise to entrepreneurship is often misconstrued. Many believe she invented the straightening comb, but that is not the case. Rather, Ms. Walker was the creator of a whole line of natural hair products that catered specifically to women of color. These natural-based products came out of a need for herself that grew into something much bigger.
After the birth of her daughter, Sarah began to experience unidentifiable issues with her scalp that led to hair loss. She desperately tried home remedies and natural products to regrow her hair and manage her scalp ailment. Eventually, she developed Madam Walker’s Wonderful Hair Grower, which she claimed came to her in a dream. This product was marketed as a scalp conditioning and healing formula. She sold it- and other products she developed along the way- door to door. She first began in the South and Southeast regions of the US and focused on black women as her target market. Word of mouth grew as she developed a name for herself and her products. As a result, she was not only one of the first African-American women- but one of the first American women of any race- to become a self-made millionaire.
As we fast forward to current times, natural hair care products (meaning products that are paraben and carcinogen free and comprised of non-synthetic ingredients- not just products formulated for natural hair) are widely used today. We are moving forward as a naturally-conscious society and women are beginning to understand- and question- the ingredients in the products they use in their hair.
Natural hair products today come in a variety of types- conditioning creams, shampoos, oils, growth and regrowth treatments, strengtheners, detanglers, texturizers, styling aids and much more. The beautiful thing about natural products is that they are perfectly formulated for caring for natural hair in a variety of textures. This is reflected in the fact that natural hair styling aids and treatments were originally vegetable-based.
You want to make informed decisions when shopping for products to treat and care for your hair today. Look for coconut, jojoba, shea and castor oils, fruit and vegetable derivatives, aloe, cucumber and other hydra-based nutrients, as well as argan and nut oils as primary components in your hair care products.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Natural Hair Regimen
- Hair Nah- The Natural Hair Game
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- Confessions of a Former Product Junkie
- Move Over Argan, Monoi and Jojoba Oil: There’s A Tried and True Staple That Boosts the Strength of Natural Hair
- Tips for Preventing Hair Product Acne
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- Kelis Gives Herself a New Haircut!
- A Retrospective: Our Favorite Natural Hair Products in 2013
- Guest Post: Kina Kanu Hair Product Review
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question