Black Women’s Reactions to 90’s Hair Products Echoes That of Many Naturals
Latest posts by LaToya Harris (see all)
- Black Women’s Reactions to 90’s Hair Products Echoes That of Many Naturals - April 19, 2018
- Zendaya Lets Us Know the Difference BetweenWeaves, Wigs, and Extensions - April 14, 2018
- Woman Shaves Head Bald After Weave Damaged Her Scalp - April 5, 2018
How would you react to seeing hair products you used back in the day? What if you went to the salon and your hairstylist pulled out a kiddie relaxer? As/Is (formerly known as Boldly and BuzzFeedYellow) did an experiment and showed four Black women with natural hair 90’s hair products to get their reactions.
The first item the ladies were shown in the video was the Just For Me perm box. One of the naturals immediately pointed out the little girls with the straight hair on the box. She said, “I think the little girls on the Just For Me box and Just For Me commercials was one reason why I was like, “Oh my God, I need a relaxer.” This is why it is extremely important for women and little girls to see images of people like themselves rocking their natural hair.
Products like hair grease, oil moisturizer, brown gel, and oil sheen were also shown to the ladies. Many of the products made you actually wonder why we used them in the first place. For example, all four of the ladies seemed a tad bit nervous when they saw the hot comb. One of the ladies recalled how her mom would put it on a paper towel. After the paper towel was burned, her mom would start using the hot comb to press her hair. I can relate!
At the end of the video, one of the naturals made a good point saying that the products back in the 90s seemed to be more about looks. She said, “Back then, I think it was all aesthetics.” Agreed! Thank God we have a lot more options that are actually good for our hair. Let us know what you thought about the products in the video!
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- 5 Ways to Make Money in the Natural Hair Industry
- YouTuber Shares Note of Caution in “Natural Hair Gurus Exposed”
- The Politics Behind Natural Hair- What Kind of Statement am I Making?
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Atlanta Photography Duo Kahran and Regis Bethencourt Post “AfroArt” Photos of Natural Girls and go Viral
- BBC News Covers Stylists’ Concerns Due to Shift to Natural Hair
- 3 Funny Videos of Brothers and a Father Doing Natural Hair
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere
- Are Relaxers Becoming Extinct?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question