The Natural Hair Journey- How to Begin the Process of Going Natural
Latest posts by Qiana Williams (see all)
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair - December 11, 2018
- Natural Hair Annual Events - December 8, 2018
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women - December 4, 2018
Going natural is a very big and personal decision. The reasons that women decide to go natural vary and while the benefits are great, there can be concerns about the “big chop”, styling hair while it is in transition, and how to care for natural hair properly. Following the below tips may be beneficial to your natural journey, and hopefully, help you to ditch some of the fear that comes with going natural.
Skip the “Big Chop”
Try trimming your hair after each wash or have it trimmed every couple of weeks by your stylist instead of doing a major chop. You’ll encourage faster new growth by keeping your ends split-free, allowing the relaxed hair to be cut off bit by bit, and you’ll also strengthen your hair and encourage healthy, fresh hair to grow in over time.
Use Organic Products and Oils to Encourage Growth and Care for Hair
As you’re growing your natural hair out, keep your scalp as clean as possible. A clogged scalp will inhibit new growth. While the right products will protect, enrich, moisturize and help tame your natural hair for styling, product buildup will weigh your hair down. Thus, wash your hair often and deep condition your hair regularly to revitalize moisture and keep your natural tresses bouncy and soft. Toss any paraben-based products and opt instead for natural oils, butters, balms, and creams for your hair that detangle, moisturize, encourage growth and assist in manageability.
Choose Protective Styles
Know that you have styling options that go beyond the spectrum of a daily short, curly crop or fro. There’s nothing wrong with keeping your hair protected through the natural transition. Play around with different styles like braids, weaves, and even wigs. These protective options will help encourage growth while allowing you to diversify your hairstyles.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- YouTuber Does Big Chop in Vietnam!
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- How to Work Through the Highs and Lows of the Natural Hair Journey
- My Natural Hair Story
- BBC News Covers Stylists’ Concerns Due to Shift to Natural Hair
- Ready To Go Natural? 14 Reasons Why You Should
- Natural Hairstyles for Formal Events- Sexy and Elegant Styles for Natural Hair
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- 8 Really Good Reasons To Stop Straightening Your Hair and Go Natural
- Embracing My Natural Crown
- Are Relaxers Becoming Extinct?
- Transitioning Adventure!
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question