Natural Hair and Bullying- What’s the Connection?
Latest posts by Qiana Williams (see all)
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair - December 11, 2018
- Natural Hair Annual Events - December 8, 2018
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women - December 4, 2018
The recent commercial acceptance of the natural hair movement has more mothers opting against adding straightening chemicals to their children’s hair- or even straightening it at all. Young children have a grade of hair that is more susceptible to damage from heat, so opting for natural hair is best. However, wearing your hair naturally isn’t always without its consequences.
Bullying is a major epidemic in the nation. Kids with bad intentions will find any reason to bully another unsuspecting child. Bullying stems from fear, and from not understanding how to accept the differences that the bullies see in other children. Having curly or coarse natural hair, how children are dressed, wearing glasses, having brown skin, being tall or short, having freckles, and a plethora of other uncontrollable factors can be reasons for your child to become a target of bullying.
While avoiding raising a bully begins at home, helping your little one to understand how to deal with bullies is essential. As they grow, teaching your children confidence helps them deal with bullying in a proactive way. When your child is confident and comfortable in their own skin, it’s harder for another child to break them down through taunting or words. Positive affirmations and having them say optimistic things about themselves daily, like: “I am smart” “I can do anything I put my mind to” and other self-encouraging statements can help boost their self-esteem at a young age.
It’s also imperative to teach your child that if they are being physically threatened or abused in any way, they need to let you or any trustworthy adult know immediately. There are many instances of severe bullying where the children feel trapped and alone and don’t disclose what’s happening. Bullying is real- and very common. Thus, you want to have genuine discussions about the topic to offer insight and answer questions your child may have on the matter. No parent is perfect, and no situation involving bullying is good. However, when you open the floor for your children to have these types of discussions, it becomes easier.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Girl Forced to Dye Her Natural Hair
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles?
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
- Top Tips for Dealing with Black Hair Discrimination
- How to Dispel Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- Why It’s Legal to Ban Natural Locs at Work
- 5 Actions to Help Your Child Recover from a Negative Natural Hair Incident
- A Toronto District School Board Principal Suspends Student for Wearing Curls
- Self Esteem and Natural Hair: Empowering Young Girls To Love Their Kinks and Curls
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- Don’t Touch My Hair- The Obsession with Black Women’s Hair From Other Races
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question