The Politics Behind Natural Hair- What Kind of Statement am I Making?
Latest posts by Qiana Williams (see all)
- How to Work Through the Highs and Lows of the Natural Hair Journey - November 13, 2018
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles? - November 3, 2018
- Frizz and Natural Hair- What’s up with That? - October 27, 2018
Wearing your hair in its natural form is often looked at in a political or cultural manner and in many ways, it is. Wearing your hair naturally says that you are comfortable and secure in yourself. A natural girl is one that is not bound to the conformities of society’s definition of beautiful.
Going natural isn’t an easy choice- thus you are going against the grain in what brown women in this country have been taught for centuries about the quality of their hair. Let’s explore how natural girls rock their intelligence, uniqueness, sense of style and beauty all through the power of their natural hair.
I’m Health-Conscious and Smart!
A natural girl is often one that is aware of the products that she is putting into her body- as well as her hair. She knows that using unsafe chemicals in her hair can not only damage her tresses but can give her adverse health issues as well.
A natural girl is confident in her being. She vibrates on high and isn’t concerned about what people think about her. A natural girl is the true definition of a badass!
Women love to use their hair to interpret their sense of style and this is no different with natural girls. With styles like locs, braids, faux and mohawks, flat twists, various curly and straight styles and much more, a natural girl expresses her sense of style through her hair. Her clothes become the accessory.
I’m Unafraid and Daring!
There are many natural girls that audaciously express themselves through their hair using vivid color, bold and unique parts, various haircuts and intricate hairstyles. Those unique and daring representations speak on their personality- a woman with style and pizzazz, a true fashionista that unflinchingly and self-assuredly steps into the world, ready to take it by storm.
Next time someone asks you what kind of statement you’re making with your natural hair, look them squarely in the eye and say, “what do you think?” Rock on, naturalistas.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- How to Dispel Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere
- Girl Forced to Dye Her Natural Hair
- Does Natural Hair Make You More Black?
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- A Toronto District School Board Principal Suspends Student for Wearing Curls
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles?
- How to Work Through the Highs and Lows of the Natural Hair Journey
- How Does my Natural Hair Affect my Life in the Professional World?
- Dr. Yaba Blay Talks Black Hair Politics
- Don’t Touch My Hair- The Obsession with Black Women’s Hair From Other Races
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question