Tyra Banks: My Natural Hair Almost Cost My Career
Latest posts by Erica Barton (see all)
- Top Tips for Dealing with Black Hair Discrimination - November 24, 2018
- Tyra Banks: My Natural Hair Almost Cost My Career - November 17, 2018
- A Historical Perspective to Natural Hair Movement - November 10, 2018
For years, there has been an outrage concerning the way women of color are sidelined in the beauty industry. The beauty market still continues to ignore a huge section of its market, for instance, many hair stylists don’t know how to work with natural hair and they rarely produce foundations with a wide enough color range. For a model, this can be damaging as it affects your ability to work as Tyra Banks narrates.
Fired Because of Natural Hair
Tyra Banks’ eight-year-long career at Victoria Secrets has been iconic. In a recent interview, Tyra Banks revealed that her iconic role as Victoria Secret’s Angel almost never came to reality for this very reason. Tyra is one of the most memorable models in Victoria Secret’s four-decade existence but she didn’t have the easiest time breaking into the industry, all because of her African-American textured hair.
Tyra Banks was the first black woman to feature on the cover of the Victoria Secrets catalog and land the coveted spot as the Angel. That’s how her early career found her making history with the modeling agency. But it was a challenging journey and all of that almost didn’t happen because the hairdresser didn’t know what to do with her hair, so she was sent home.
Still a Long Way to Go
A year later, Banks tried out the Victoria Secrets again. However, this time it was different because she hired her own hair stylist instead of relying on the agency’s stylists. In an interview with W Magazine, Tyra Banks says that she had to figure out how to make sure that she looked good at work to avoid losing her once in a lifetime opportunity to be a Victoria Secrets model.
Tyra Banks would soon rise to become one of the most popular models on Victoria Secrets at which point she used her influence to make the brand hire a hairstylist who knew how to work her hair. She went on to work with the brand for several years. Tyra Banks was happy to see the brand step up to accommodate her but says that the industry still has a long way to go when it comes to diversity.
Author: Erica Barton
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Beauties that are Making a Difference!
- Tia Mowry Reminds Us Why She is a Natural Hair Guru!
- Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years
- 3 Reasons We Love Amara La Negra
- Carolina “Miss Rizos” Contreras Opens a Natural Hair Salon in the Dominican Republic!
- Sonequa Martin-Green Appears on the Cover of Entertainment Weekly Rocking Her Natural Hair
- Erica Campbell Makes Case for Going Natural!
- Hair Love: Torrei Hart’s Natural Hair Care Line
- Woman Shaves Head Bald After Weave Damaged Her Scalp
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question