Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
Latest posts by Qiana Williams (see all)
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair - December 11, 2018
- Natural Hair Annual Events - December 8, 2018
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women - December 4, 2018
Lupita Nyong’o is a talented and beautiful actress that continues to wow us on screen with her thespian skills. However, this young woman brings much more to the table than glowing beauty and talent. Ms. Nyong’o oozes confidence in her heritage, her hair, and her velvety chocolate skin tone, epitomizing black girl magic. We see her on red carpets, award shows and on magazines, beautifully coiffed and dressed. Most often, Lupita chooses to wear her hair naturally.
There’s a method to why Lupita chooses to wear her hair naturally and advocate for self-love and confidence. As she shared with the Fall 2018 issue of Porter magazine, she’s tired of natural hair being painted in a poor light. Says the Oscar winner, “How often do you hear, ‘You can’t get a job with hair like that?’”
You wouldn’t think a woman of her stature would experience the same discriminations as the average natural woman. However, in 2017, Lupita graced the cover of UK’s Grazia magazine and the magazine opted to photoshop her hair into a smooth version of her look. Lupita struck back, posting both the original and the edited versions of the photos on Instagram and airing the magazine out.
Her frustration went further than just having her pictures altered by the magazine. Lupita didn’t want to be part of something that took away from the pride she feels in wearing her hair naturally. Understanding her role as an icon to many young girls and women, she wants her fans to always feel that they can be comfortable, strong and beautiful in their own skin.
Lupita realizes that a woman of color sporting her natural hair is often shunned in mainstream society. Thus, she opts to always go against the grain of their beauty standards. Kinky, curly texture is often perceived as less than, unkempt or uncivilized. Ms. Nyong’o doesn’t believe that though. As she told Allure magazine “loving your texture is important.” What a beautiful message for our natural sisters around the world to receive.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years
- Tyra Banks: My Natural Hair Almost Cost My Career
- Carolina “Miss Rizos” Contreras Opens a Natural Hair Salon in the Dominican Republic!
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- Natural Hair Beauties that are Making a Difference!
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- Tia Mowry Reminds Us Why She is a Natural Hair Guru!
- 3 Reasons We Love Amara La Negra
- Sonequa Martin-Green Appears on the Cover of Entertainment Weekly Rocking Her Natural Hair
- Hair Love: Torrei Hart’s Natural Hair Care Line
- Erica Campbell Makes Case for Going Natural!
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair - A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- To Trim Or Not To Trim - That Is The Question
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective