✓ STEP 1: Prepare Yourself Mentally For Your Natural Haircare Journey
- Remind yourself why you are on this journey through affirmations:
o I will have healthy, chemical-free hair
o I will stop damaging my scalp
o I am breaking free from the creamy crack
o My natural hair is unique and special and deserves attention
✓STEP 2: Transitioning from Relaxed to Natural
- Once your natural hair starts to grow in, familiarize yourself with your curl pattern.
- Start treating your hair with kindness by shampooing and conditioning with gentle, curl hydrating shampoos and conditioners.
- Decide whether you will do the Big Chop, (BC), or slowly transition over to natural as you grow out your relaxer.
- Find a hair salon that specializes in kinky/curly hair or who has worked with transitioners and get a curl flattering trim or cut.
- Once you’ve decided on whether to do the BC or slowly transition to natural hair, get the proper hair tools to maintain your natural hairstyle which may include:
o A wide tooth comb
o Denman Brush for shingling, (applying a curl definer creme and a brush or fingers to apply section by section to natural hair which enhances curl definition). Also used for detangling.
o Hair clips for sectioning hair
✓STEP 3: Natural Hair Care Maintenance
- Check our Blog and ‘Movers and Shakers’ for the latest articles and videos that will help you to:
o Get ideas on popular natural hairstyles and hair accessories
o Tips on protective styles, wash and go styles, and the best natural haircare products
o Leave comments on our blog or send us an email to tell us about your natural hair journey.