Give Your Hair What It Deserves: 5 Natural Hair Care Tips
No doubt about it – our kinky, curly wavy hair is beautiful, and we want to keep it that way! Check out these five natural hair care tips that will help you to treat your hair the way it deserves to be treated!
1. Gentle is Always Better
How you manipulate your hair as well as the products that you use can cause a lot of breakage, especially for our fragile hair. Take your time when styling your hair – always.
Never tug or pull at your hair. Avoid combing and brushing your natural hair when dry, only when wet, and then use a wide-tooth comb with smooth edges. Start from the ends and work your way up to the roots of wet, conditioned hair. Remember, our hair is fragile when wet, so you still need to be gentle when handling your hair.
3. Washing & Conditioning
Never pile your natural hair on top of your head and scrub; you’ll just create a tangled mess, which leads to breakage. Gently run the shampoo and conditioner through your hair in a downward motion from roots to ends; being careful not to manipulate your hair too much. Water that is too hot can damage your hair, so use as cool of a temperature as you can stand., the colder the better to protect the hair and stimulate your scalp.
Daily shampooing can dry out our hair, which leads to breakage. Do what’s best for your hair type, but try not to shampoo every day.
Be sure to deep condition your hair with a protein-based conditioner once or twice a month. In between deep conditioning treatments, use a high quality protein based leave in conditioner to hydrate your hair.
4. Stick with natural and organic shampoos and conditioners
Natural hair care products that are organically made don’t contain alcohol, sulfates, and other chemicals that is drying to our hair, and drying = breakage. Chemical laden products may also cause scalp irritation that can lead to dandruff and other problems for some users.
5. Protect Your Hair at Night: Natural hair can easily mat and knot so use satin or silk pillowcases when sleeping. You can also use a satin/silk sleeping cap. Guys: don’t want to use a cap? Definitely invest in a satin pillowcase!
Do you have your own natural hair care tips? Leave your comments below.
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.
You May Also Like:
- African Shea Butter from The Tree of Life
- Readers’ Spotlight: Mixed Chicks – Product Review
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Noire Naturals: A Young Entrepreneur On The Rise
- Choosing A Natural Hairstylist
- Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- Our Kinky Hair: A pH Balancing Act
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- Readers’ Spotlight: Wen Hair Product Review – Sundra Oakley
- Nourishing Your Natural Hair From Within
- Which Is Best: Slow Transition To Natural, Or The Big Chop?
- So You Want To Go Natural?