Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
When all the YouTube videos have been watched (as if that’s even possible), the blogs read and the natural hair show has rolled out-of-town, what’s left?
How can you maintain your natural hair ‘high’ when you are facing just you in the mirror?
The ones who have been successful in maintaining healthy, happy, kinks and coils have these things in common.
A healthy, happy, winning attitude about the process of caring for their hair.
Everything is energy. That energy is affecting every part of your inner and outer self. Your hair health and growth is depending on you to have a healthy mind, body and spirit. What signals are you sending to yourself and your hair when you don’t love it and speak positively about it and your journey? As the saying goes, when you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
They don’t let past failed attempts deter them from trying again.
I love Tavis Smiley’s take on ‘Failing Up’. Meaning there is no success without failure. How else are you going to know what works and what doesn’t? When you know what doesn’t work, you can move on to exploring and finding out what does! Every challenge has a solution. Even if, for now, that solution is just to accept ‘what is’.
They enjoy, or at least accept, every stage of the journey.
We’ve all heard some form of the expression, Life is not a destination it’s a journey, right? We must adopt this same philosophy with our hair. It’s so easy to throw in the towel and give in to the creamy crack. Or be discouraged by the seeming slow progress in hair growth, cutting it off… again, and sticking to the twa out of sheer frustration.
I know, I’ve been there!
Now, in times like these, as I move through the journey of retaining length, I remember the above quote and it really does sustain me. And the more I accept and love my hair, no matter what stage it’s in, I receive that love energy back in positive unsolicited comments – remember, everything is energy – and those comments remind me that my viewpoint can get a little skewed sometime.
A distinct regimen that they abide by even when trying new things.
For instance, no matter what products they use, they make sure they have the proper pH balance for their hair texture. Or if growth is the desired goal, using protective styling as a means to that end.
So what’s keeping you from achieving your desired hair goals?
With achieving any goal in life, having clarity about why you are doing what you’re doing will be the key to your success. You can’t succeed in anything until you’re clear about what you want and realistic about what it’s going to take to get there.
Find those tools in life that keep your mind positive, definitely educate yourself with the movers and shakers in the natural hair care world, but always remember to take control of your own destiny. In the end, YOU hold the key to maintaining your natural hair high!
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Our Kinky Hair: A pH Balancing Act
- Noire Naturals: A Young Entrepreneur On The Rise
- Choosing A Natural Hairstylist
- The Brothas Speak Out On Natural Hair and Beauty
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- African Shea Butter from The Tree of Life
- Low Manipulation Hair Styling Strategies
- Natural Haircare Experiments on Black People!
- Natural Hair Care News: Everything You Need To Know About Natural Hair Care Tips and Trends
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Hair Loss, Hair Gains: One Woman’s Story
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair