Four Misconceptions Black Women Have About Natural Hair
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
Here are four fallacies that some black women have about natural hair:
1. Natural Hair is Extremely Hard to Manage
Actually, any hair type can be hard to manage if you aren’t familiar or comfortable with handling your hair type. How often do we feel frustrated about our hair whether our hair is natural or relaxed because our hair just doesn’t seem to fall right; or our hair is dry. Maybe the ends of our hair are breaking off so it appears to not be growing. It could be hard to comb. The key is to have patience with your natural hair and take the time to learn about and understand your hair whether it’s kinky, curly or wavy. No matter your hair type, you have to figure out what works best for your hair; sometimes through trial and error.
2. It Takes More Time To Style Natural Hair
Well, that depends on your perspective. How many black women will spend hours – all day as a matter of fact, sitting in a hair salon to get their hair styled, or relaxed? If you want your hair to look and be healthy, it’s important to take time with your hair. I’d never advocate spending all day on your hair. This is another case where figuring out a hair styling routine that will help you to achieve the results that you want from your hair, save you time and still keep you looking fly – is key.
3. Natural Hair Is a Career Killer in the Workplace
Are there people in the workplace who have the power to help or hurt your career who may have an issue with your natural hair? Absolutely. Right or wrong, it can be a reality for some people. But for the most part, natural hair in the workplace is not the issue it once was.
4. My Husband/Boyfriend/Partner Won’t Like My Natural Hair
That’s entirely possible. There are men who don’t like relaxed hair. Or weaves. Or braids. Or blonds. The point is that yes, people have preferences, but what you do with your hair is your choice; your decision. If wearing your hair natural is a deal breaker for your significant other, then you already have deeper issues in the relationship anyway!
The bottom line is that it’s important to do what is best for you when it comes to how you choose to wear your hair. Don’t let others define you or decide what that means for you.
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Unsure About Transitioning to Natural Hair? 6 Benefits to Going Natural
- Transitioning Adventure!
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- Black Hair Care: Tips for Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural Hair
- Breaking Free From The Creamy Crack- Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural
- Resisting The Temptation To Relax Your Natural Hair
- Do You Have What It Takes To Go Natural?
- Readers’ Spotlight: Terri’s Transition to Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 009: A Conversation With Natural Hair Expert Marie Compere of Luv My Natural Curls
- Are You Ready To Go Natural?
- Want to go Natural? Don’t Do It If…
- GOOD Hair, BAD Hair Day – The In Between Times
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question