Hair Loss, Hair Gains: One Woman’s Story
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
As a person challenged with hairline alopecia due to scarring from harsh styling, see Alopecia and Me, the topic always peaks my interest.
This touching video from Shamika (sp) on her personal experience with alopecia and how it brought her to being grateful and appreciative of what God naturally gave her moved me – I could feel her pain as she talked about it.
It also gave me a fresh perspective on my own alopecia issue and made me realize, in comparison, my loss really isn’t that bad.
You see, although Shamika discovered the beauty of her natural hair through this process and was grateful at how the thickness of it covered her baldness, her alopecia, due to scarring, is spreading.
With the major loss at the crown of her head she often opts to cover it with lace front wigs.
What also intrigued me is how she’s using her personal challenge to educate and support other women through her informative videos and her business, educating and selling lace front wigs, to women in similar situations. As Shamika also explains, lace fronts are a great protective styling method, for all women.
Are you or a loved one experiencing hair loss? Share your “losses and gains” with Natural Haircare News and keep the education going.
Check out Shamika’s story in the following video:
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Female Pattern Baldness and Alopecia – The 411 for Naturals
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- Solutions For Natural Hair Shrinkage
- You’ve Heard it Before But Worth Repeating – Tips To Avoid Hairline Damage
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Maintaining Your Natural Hair ‘High’
- Our Kinky Hair: A pH Balancing Act
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- Hair Edges: Why You Are Losing It & How You Can Restore It
- What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
- 3 Hair Loss Problems Caused By Natural Hair Care Practices
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College