Anti Hair Braiding Laws in the U.S.?
Here’s another story of how the business of natural hair clashes with state regulations. As we shared with you in the article New Law Paves the Way For Board Certification in Natural Haircare Specialty in Oregon, States require anyone working on hair professionally to complete cosmetology school.
But what do you do when you are forced to meet this requirement in order to work professionally, but the school doesn’t have any classes to teach you what you already know how to do – braid hair? Does it make any sense to spend thousands of dollars to go to school to learn how to relax and perm hair, or wax eyebrows?
The article “Natural Hair Baggage: Anti Braiding Laws, Policies Limit Options” speaks to this ongoing issue. You can read the excerpt below or the full article here.
For many black people, hair braiding is uneventful. Short of being overcharged or cornrowed by a stylist whose work produces baby Botox effects, (Tight braids, yanked hairlines and high eyebrows, anyone?) the service is ordinary. However, hair-braiding legislation and policies complicate many braiders’ ability to make an honest living.
There’s Yolanda Dings, a 36-year-old mother of one. A hair braider, she contacted the Des Moines Register about La’James International College in Johnston, Iowa. According to Dings, the school had students doing janitorial work and miscellaneous tasks unrelated to what they want to pursue. In a May story, the Register highlighted overlaps between the braids that Dings wants to provide and state-required expenses. Read more
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Hair Edges: Why You Are Losing It & How You Can Restore It
- Are You Too Concerned With Curl Definition?
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025
- Scalp Care Don’t Care? Take Heed From These Naturalistas!
- Everyone Ain’t Supposed To Be Natural
- Black Hair Care: Tips for Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural Hair
- My Deep Conditioning Experience: Simply Organics Coconut & Jamaican Black Castor Oil Product Review – Pictures
- Video: Top 10 Chemo Hair Loss “Aha” Moments
- Why Pictures of Michelle Obama’s Natural Hair Are a Big Deal
- Article: Do You Dislike My Natural Hair?
- Want to go Natural? Don’t Do It If…
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here