Will I Ever Not Be Surprised To See A Black Woman With Natural Hair?
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast #0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
Natural-haired black women were everywhere I turned on this particular day.
It was a day like any other day; or so it seemed. I got into my car and dropped my daughter off at school. I drove to the train station and parked my car. But as I walked to the train, I spotted two naturalistas.
I changed stops; hopped onto another train. Bam – four more! Walking to my office, I spot three more black women rocking their natural hair; loose and free.
Lunch time – off to the salad bar. I spot four more kinky curly divas. It’s as if I had been wearing rose colored glasses and then suddenly took the glasses off and was seeing the world for the first time. Everywhere I turned, black women with beautiful natural hair were there.
When the realization hit me that there were so many black women with natural hair going about their day: off to work, to school; leaving their special footprint on the world on that day, I was surprised that there were so many women with natural hair. Then I felt surprised that I was even surprised.
Seeing ten black women with natural hair in a 4 hour period may not sound like a lot, but where I’m from, black people are far from the majority.
With each encounter, I could swear that we had a special bond. It was clear that they noticed me too. Some smiled slightly when we made eye contact. Others gave that “knowing” look: Yeah, I see you sister; walking proud. Showcasing those kinky curls that God gave you.
At least that’s what I hope they were thinking. Maybe I should put the rose colored glasses back on…
Author: Dianne Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- Appreciating The Beauty of the Teeny-Weeny Afro
- Resisting The Temptation To Relax Your Natural Hair
- Unsure About Transitioning to Natural Hair? 6 Benefits to Going Natural
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- NHCN Podcast 009: A Conversation With Natural Hair Expert Marie Compere of Luv My Natural Curls
- 3 Tips For Summer-Ready Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast #0023: Nubia’s Guide to Going Natural: A Conversation with Orjanette Bryant
- Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- Transitioning Adventure!
- My Natural Hair Journey – Lisa’s Story
- Black Women with Natural Hair – My Reflections
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question