Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
As co-founder of Natural Haircare News, our mission is to change attitudes about natural hair. As an actress and a “Hollywood Natural”, my personal mission is to change the standard image of what is considered a “beautiful leading lady” in Hollywood.
Hi, my name is Pamela, (Hi Pamela), and I am a Hollywood Natural.
I have been a working actress in Los Angeles for over 10 years now and I wrote an article last year here on NHCN entitled Acting Naturally: A Personal Journey; so I’m no stranger to this topic.
After attending a natural hair event in LA in November, “acting naturally” has been heavy on my mind once again.
A celebrity hair stylist, on one of the panels, commented about her experience working with black female celebrities.
To paraphrase the stylist, even though there is a big natural hair movement within the general population, Hollywood is very slowly joining that movement. There are “working” black actresses in Hollywood with natural hair but they cover it up with wigs and weaves when working and in public. Although she’s optimistic, she didn’t see many if any who were representing on-screen.
There were several actor naturalistas in the audience, myself included, who softly countered that observation with each other.
When it was all said and done though, I knew that I wanted to have a stronger voice around this Hollywood image issue.
I am here to say that we kinky, curly, afro textured actresses are out there and we are not covering up. We are bold in our representation and we are being hired, kinks and all!
The media and movies – Hollywood – has always influenced the public at large. If you’re a big celebrity, that influence is major.
Now, as much as my twelve year-old niece, Anya, believes I’m a celebrity because she sees me on TV, my fan base, at the moment, isn’t that far-reaching.
I’d like to think though that every time a young black girl or anybody sees me on television in all my natural hair glory, a covert and overt message is being sent to raise image awareness, self-esteem, where needed, as well as build a “new normal” for everyone.
That black girls – who rock by the way – in particular, will be encouraged to explore, if not already doing so, fully being her authentic and unique self.
In the meantime, I’m going to continue being the solution, in all the ways I possibly can, to shift the monocratic Hollywood view of what it is to be beautiful.
Author: Pamela Shaddock
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Taraji P. Henson’s New Cut Is Everything
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?
- Tia Mowry-Hardrict Embraces Her Natural Curls, Credits Her Son As Her Inspiration
- Kelis Gives Herself a New Haircut!
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- Beyoncé Backlash: What Does Hating on Blue Ivy’s Hair Say About Us?
- Lavender Essential Oil Recipes for Natural Hair Growth
- Natural Hair Event: Felicia Leatherwood’s Kurlz On Film
- Erica Campbell Makes Case for Going Natural!
- Requiem for a Relaxer: Confessions of a Born Again Natural
- Beyoncé Shows Off Her Natural Hair – Weave
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question