Eight Year Old Girl Suffers Severe Scalp Damage From Bullies For Weaving Her Natural Hair- VIDEO
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Do Chemo Caps Really Work On Natural Hair? Trish’s Chemo Hair Loss Journey - June 20, 2017
- Take the #BlackSalonProblems Survey - June 2, 2017
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair - May 3, 2017
Yes, this story has a little bit of a different twist. Eight year old Aolani Dunbar of Carroll County Georgia has short hair and she wanted long hair. Her mother helped her achieve her goal by allowing Aolani to get a weave. Aolani, who is biracial and attends a predominately white school wanted to have “long hair” like some of the other girls.
According to reports, Aolani has had a difficult time at school but the intensity of the bullying increased after she wore the weave to school. Aolani experienced excessive teasing and worst yet had her weave continuously pulled and yanked while on the playground to the point where her scalp was literally ripped from her head at the crown. She developed cellulitis and had to have all of her hair shaved off to deter a scalp infection. Her dermatologist shared that her hair may never grow back in the area where her scalp was severely damaged.
Needless to say, Aolani is suffering from emotional damage along with the physical damage of her experience. To add insult to injury, one of the two ringleaders only received an “in school” suspension.
You can watch a news report on the story here:
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- What do you think? Is Chemically Straightening Your Child’s Hair Child Abuse?
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- The Power Of The Puff… The Afro Puff That Is
- Single Dad Shatters Stereotypes About Hairstyling
- Engage Your Daughter on Her Natural Hair Journey – Here’s How
- Scalp Care Don’t Care? Take Heed From These Naturalistas!
- Beyoncé Backlash: What Does Hating on Blue Ivy’s Hair Say About Us?
- Kristina and Jaida: Two Beautiful Young Ladies Who Love Their Natural Hair! (Pictures)
- Is Your Man Supportive Of Your Natural Hair? [Video]
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- A Black Doll with Crossover Appeal – Building Our Children’s Self Esteem and Educating The Masses
- You’ve Heard it Before But Worth Repeating – Tips To Avoid Hairline Damage
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace