MSNBC Host Melissa Harris Perry Shares Her Views About Natural Hair for New Book
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
If you’re not familiar with Melissa Harris-Perry, she’s someone that you’ll definitely want to become much more familiar with. She’s the host and political commentator extraordinaire on MSNBC’s the Melissa Harris-Perry weekend news and is often a guest political analyst on a variety of talk shows.
Recently, Harris-Perry made national headlines because of controversial on air comments about Mitt Romney’s adopted African American grandchild; (See video below).
Ms. Perry reflects on her own hair and the societal preoccupation that people have with ethnic black hair in general as part of a forward for the book: “Hair Story: Untangling The Roots of Black Hair in America,” authored by by Ayana D. Byrd and Lori L. Tharps. Here’s an excerpt:
The first part of my personal hair journey is probably very much like that of many other little black girls, in that it was hours on the weekend washing and parting and greasing my scalp, and then getting braided styles. One thing to know is that I am and always have considered myself African-American, but I have a white mother. And this has meant absolutely nothing for the texture of my hair. I knew the interracial girls that had hair that fell down in ringlets, but that wasn’t my experience.
“People always talk about the white mom and the interracial child whose hair is not groomed in the way it would have been groomed with a black parent, but my mother understood how important it was, and she learned how to take care of my hair”…
You can view the complete commentary in the original Slate article. It’s a great read!
Romney’s adopted grandchild comments
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Update on Vanessa VanDyke: Student Who was Threatened with Suspension from School for Natural Hair
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- Smithsonian Event Grapples With Black Women’s Relationship With Our Hair
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Video: Was It a Really Bad Camera Timing or Was QVC Hosts Mocking Natural Hair Model?
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- Natural Hair Commentary from Around the World: Out of the Mouths of Babes: One Young Girl’s View on Natural Hair
- Natural Haircare News Flash: A Ban On Afro Puffs & Braids
- The Politics of Hair: Choosing Between Straight or Natural Hair on the Job [Video]
- Mother Teaches Her Daughter To Be Wary of “Artificial” Beauty -Video
- Study Finds That Black Women Choose Hairstyle Over Exercise
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question