Lupita Nyong’o’s Groundbreaking Approach to the Teenie Weenie Afro
Dianne is the co-founder of Natural Haircare News and Coils To Locs.com. She's been blogging about natural hair ever since she made the decision to break free of the creamy crack in 2012.
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
Who knew that the teeny weeny afro (TWA) could be styled in a breathtaking way? Lupita Nyong’o apparently did – or at least her stylist did!
The TWA is traditionally known to be no more than that boring, uninteresting and unvarying phase between the big chop and an afro. That is until Lupita boldly and beautifully stepped up to change that perception.
During the awards season, we witnessed Lupita sporting her TWA with a widow’s peak, parted down the middle, cropped close, in a faux hawk and adorned with headbands.
Elle Magazine interviewed Lupita’s hairstylist who revealed how they came up with the ideas for the amazing styles the award-winning actress wore on the red carpet and beyond.
You can read the interview here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- Lupita Supports Kheris Rogers’ “Flexin’ In My Complexion” Campaign
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- Tia Mowry Reminds Us Why She is a Natural Hair Guru!
- Taraji P. Henson’s New Cut Is Everything
- Nappy Hair – The Other “N” Word?
- Why Natural Hair Should Be Acceptable In Every Setting
- Should You Ever Use Heat On Natural Hair?
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles?
- Ready To Go Natural? 14 Reasons Why You Should
- The Politics Of Natural Hair: An Effective Get Out The Vote Video Campaign
Tagged with: Lupita Nyong’o • natural hair women • TWA