Black Hair Education: The Key To Ending Discrimination?
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Natural Hair Care News Founder Featured in Entrepreneurship Video - August 25, 2017
- Do Chemo Caps Really Work On Natural Hair? Trish’s Chemo Hair Loss Journey - June 20, 2017
- Take the #BlackSalonProblems Survey - June 2, 2017
Do you wear an Afro? Have you ever been asked why you wear your hair the way you do? Have you ever been discriminated against because of your hairstyle?
If you follow the news, you know how Black women from various walks of life – students, soldiers, employees, celebrities – are discriminated against because they wear their hair in an Afro.
Why do people discriminate against individuals of color who have Afro-textured hair?
According to this article from Huffington Post, the reason behind this behavior is a lack of education or knowledge about what makes Afro-textured hair different. It says that, to people who have Type 1 straight hair, it may seem like the obvious solution to Black people’s hair struggles is to just keep our hair straight. After all, there are effective ways to straighten even the most stubborn curls, right?
They have this attitude because they do not understand that Black hair has different structural features which make it very prone to damage caused by straightening using either chemical relaxers or applied heat.
But will educating White people be enough? How about Black people? Do we all fully understand our hair if many of us have only just started to accept our natural textures? Indeed there is still much we all need to learn about Afro hair and we can start by reading this very informative article.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- The Black Power Movements’ Influence on the “Natural Hair Movement”
- Locs – Another Natural Hair Styling Alternative
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- The Power of the Afro Flower
- Teyonah Parris on Her Natural Hair: It Looked Nothing Like ‘What I thought was beautiful’
- My Reaction to the POPSUGAR “Natural Hair” Article
- It’s Not Too Late To Protect Your Hair Against The Summer Rays and Dreaded Humidity
- More Reasons Why Chemically Treated Hair Poses a Danger to The Health of Black Women
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College