Why Using Flat Irons on Natural Hair Will Cause Irreversible Damage
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
Even the most diehard naturalista wants to change her look now and again. For some naturals, changing our look means applying heating tools to temporarily straighten our natural hair.
The problem is, many of us are under the mistaken impression that because we are not applying chemicals, and are using heat styling products only occasionally, that there isn’t any real damage that can be done. Nothing can be further from the truth.
Too high of a heat setting or regular straightening with blow dryers, curling irons and the like can damage your curl pattern. Damaged hair is easy to identify: It will no longer curl or coil and it will look dull, dry and frizzy no matter what types of products you apply to your hair.
Once this type of damage occurs, your only option is to start over by cutting off the heat-damaged hair.
An article in the Huffington Post highlights five ways that your flat iron can be harming your natural hair:
1. Hair is like skin, it can get burned – only you cannot feel it.
2. Whenever you use heat styling tools, your hair is depleted of its natural moisture
3. If you have thin, fine curls then the damage from excessive heat is even greater.
4. Ironing your curls frequently can lead to permanent hair loss.
5. Steam damage occurs when you try to heat style your hair while it is wet.
Read more about the true effects of straightening tools on your natural hair here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Should You Ever Use Heat On Natural Hair?
- Confessions of a Former Product Junkie
- Unsure About Transitioning to Natural Hair? 6 Benefits to Going Natural
- Why I Love Hair Steaming My Naturally Kinky Hair
- Two Lucky Winners of Our Fall, 2014 Natural Hair Products Survey Will Be Announced Soon!
- NHCN Podcast 009: A Conversation With Natural Hair Expert Marie Compere of Luv My Natural Curls
- Toddlers Left Home Alone While Mom Gets Her Hair Done Die In House Fire
- Are You Protective Styling Or Defective Styling?
- Taking Split Ends To Task – Do You Really Have To Cut Split Ends?
- Porcha and Sami: Natural Haircare News Amazon Gift Card Survey Winners!
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- Can You Still Repair Heat Damaged Natural Hair?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question