Study Finds That Black Women Choose Hairstyle Over Exercise
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Four out of five black women are overweight or obese.
- Despite being overweight, many women make a conscious decision not to take efforts to improve their health through exercise.
A recent study backs up the CDC’s finding. The study uncovered that the reason that some black women avoided exercise is because they did not want to sweat out their hair and ruin their hairstyle.
The study was conducted by the Center for Women’s Health Research at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and the Center for African American Health.
Researchers found that many black women avoid doing exercises that cause perspiration because they do not want to spend more money and time to have their hair re-straightened or restyled.
The positive that came out of this study is that more black women are embracing low maintenance hairstyles in order to reduce the time needed to restyle their hair after a workout; although a concern that was revealed in the study is that some black women are uneasy about how low maintenance hairstyles such as braids, or ponytails will be perceived in the workplace.
You can read more about the University of Colorado study here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Requiem for a Relaxer: Confessions of a Born Again Natural
- How to Have No-Frizz Natural Hair This Spring
- Help a Brotha’ Out! How Do I Maintain My Locs?
- Carolina “Miss Rizos” Contreras Opens a Natural Hair Salon in the Dominican Republic!
- Natural Hair Tips: Try These Strategies to Get Rid Of Grays Naturally
- An Easy Flat Twist Style for You to Try [Video]
- Nutrition Spotlight: The Benefits of Kelp on Hair
- Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
- Play Untangles Mystery of Black Women’s Hair
- Boston Natural Hair Event: Curls Gone Wild Natural Hair & Health Expo – October 12th
- Why Using Flat Irons on Natural Hair Will Cause Irreversible Damage