Study Finds That Black Women Choose Hairstyle Over Exercise
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- Four out of five black women are overweight or obese.
- Despite being overweight, many women make a conscious decision not to take efforts to improve their health through exercise.
A recent study backs up the CDC’s finding. The study uncovered that the reason that some black women avoided exercise is because they did not want to sweat out their hair and ruin their hairstyle.
The study was conducted by the Center for Women’s Health Research at the University of Colorado School of Medicine and the Center for African American Health.
Researchers found that many black women avoid doing exercises that cause perspiration because they do not want to spend more money and time to have their hair re-straightened or restyled.
The positive that came out of this study is that more black women are embracing low maintenance hairstyles in order to reduce the time needed to restyle their hair after a workout; although a concern that was revealed in the study is that some black women are uneasy about how low maintenance hairstyles such as braids, or ponytails will be perceived in the workplace.
You can read more about the University of Colorado study here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Requiem for a Relaxer: Confessions of a Born Again Natural
- Signs Your Hair Needs a Protein Treatment
- Okay High Porosity Hair You Win!
- Don’t Touch My Hair- The Obsession with Black Women’s Hair From Other Races
- Natural Haircare News Podcast Mentioned on CNN Radio
- The Choice Is Yours
- NHCN Podcast #0023: Nubia’s Guide to Going Natural: A Conversation with Orjanette Bryant
- Hair Nah- The Natural Hair Game
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- So You Want To Go Natural?
- Losing Your Natural Hair? The Remedy Might Be In Your Kitchen!
- 8 Really Good Reasons To Stop Straightening Your Hair and Go Natural