Jill Scott Doesn’t Let Her Hair Define Her
On her recent interview with HuffPost Live’s Caitlyn Becker, Grammy-award winning singer Jill Scott made a very interesting hair analogy.
Becker pointed out that Jill is a body-image hero and a natural hair proponent and asked her if she thinks that “it’s the responsibility of women — performers, actress, songwriters — to pave the way for girls growing up?”
Jill answered that it is the responsibility of every grown person to be a good example to young people. And about her hair, she pointed to it and said;
“This is a hat. It’s a hat made of hair. It does not define me. It does not make me who I am in any way, shape, or form. It’s a hat.”
And indeed like a hat, natural hair can be worn many exciting and different ways. Now about the debate about whether black women should wear their hair natural or not, Jill also had this to say;
“I need young women, especially young black women, not to separate themselves because of this hat that you have on. At the end of the day, you shave it off, we’re still all black women.”
You can watch the interview below.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Teyonah Parris on Her Natural Hair: It Looked Nothing Like ‘What I thought was beautiful’
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- The Natural Hair Journey- How to Begin the Process of Going Natural
- The Trend Towards Natural Hair Goes A Lot Deeper Than The Need To Be Free From Relaxers
- Lavender Essential Oil Recipes for Natural Hair Growth
- The Quest for the Perfect Curl?
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- 3 Funny Videos of Brothers and a Father Doing Natural Hair
- Retired Veteran Is Teaching Young Women To Love Their Natural Hair
- Why Pictures of Michelle Obama’s Natural Hair Are a Big Deal
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- Why Do The Styling Choices That Black Women Make Continue To Be An Issue in The Workplace? Woman Fired For Wearing Blonde Highlights