Don’t Believe The Hype: 6 Untruths About Natural Hair
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
There are so many misconceptions and untruths out there about our natural hair:
- Natural hair is hard to manage. Of course it is if you have never learned how to take care of your hair. Like anything, understanding your hair is half the battle. Take the time to understand your hair. What are the best shampoos and conditioners? How long does your hair take to air dry? What does it look like when you “wash and go”? What are the best detangling methods. Educate yourself and apply what you learn. You’ll soon eliminate “hard to manage” from your vocabulary when it comes to your hair.
- Natural hair is not attractive or professional. Says who? Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Anyone who thinks that natural hair is unattractive or unprofessional just because natural hair isn’t straight needs to clean their glasses, check their contact lens prescription or maybe just get an attitude adjustment.
- Natural hair is really hard to comb. No, our hair does not glide over a comb like straight hair because our curly strands naturally wrap around the prongs of a comb. Coily/curly hair needs more TLC than straight hair so use other detangling options such as finger detangle or combing the hair while wet and highly conditioned with a smooth, rounded wide tooth comb on occasion to prevent breakage.
- There aren’t as many styling options for Naturalistas. Natural hair has many styling options. You can bun it, braid it, twist and curl it, pin it… the options for styling are limited only by your imagination.
- My man/partner/family/friends won’t like my hair natural. It is fine to respect the opinion of others but should we be trying to adjust our lives to suit other people’s preferences when it comes to our hair? I say, “absolutely not! If someone doesn’t like your hair, it is their problem, not yours.
- My hair won’t look like my girlfriend/sister/cousin’s hair. Some women are either caught up in the “straighter” curl pattern dilemma or just lack confidence and think that their hair will never look as good as another women’s hair that they admire. Don’t always strive to look like someone else. Let’s appreciate our own beauty by learning to appreciate our own hair. Wear your hair with confidence and you will be the person whose hair others admire.
Helps us to banish misconceptions and untruths about our hair! What are some of the untruths that you’ve heard or experienced over time?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
- So You Want To Go Natural?
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- Are People Making Offhand Comments About Your Natural Hair? How To Respond To The Negative And UnInformed
- NHCN Podcast 009: A Conversation With Natural Hair Expert Marie Compere of Luv My Natural Curls
- Naturalista Who Fought Off Cancer Now Fighting For Her Right to Wear Her Hair Natural
- Resisting The Temptation To Relax Your Natural Hair
- Do You Have What It Takes To Go Natural?
- Natural Hair Regimen
- Is Your Man Supportive Of Your Natural Hair? [Video]
- Ready To Go Natural? 14 Reasons Why You Should
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question