What We Can Learn From Viola Davis About Wearing Wigs, Natural Hair, and Hair Loss
If you haven’t read the “…14-Step Guide to Happiness” interview with Viola Davis on Vulture.com, be sure to check it out. Ms. Davis is an insightful woman who has so much to share about personal growth.
But since this is a hair blog, I’ll focus on her comments about her experience with her hair; reflections that many of us can relate to and that we can all learn from as we continue our own natural hair journey.
We need to find avenues to alleviate stress
Viola shared that she struggled with self-esteem issues related to losing her hair in her twenties from a condition called Alopecia Areata; a disorder that causes “your immune system [to] attack your hair follicles”, (Web MD). The hair falls out and sufferers are left with bald patches. In some cases the hair does grow back but it is more sparse and prone to breakage. In some cases, the hair never comes back.
As a result of the disorder, Viola states that she wore wigs as “a crutch”. She was able to eventually overcome her discomfort with her hair and now wears wigs in lieu of her natural hair when she feels like wearing a wig, and not because she has to.
Take away: Internalizing stress can manifest itself in so many ways: hair loss, poor health, and crankiness among other conditions. Find ways to alleviate stress through meditation, yoga, reading a book, professional counseling; whatever works for you.
Get rid of excess baggage that impacts your self-confidence
Viola clearly was able to reclaim her sense of self, long before we saw her rock her beautiful natural hair at the 2012 Oscars.
When we don’t trust our own abilities, or believe in ourselves, it can have a ripple affect and impact not only our day-to-day activities, but also how we view ourselves.
Have you ever looked in a mirror and wondered who that “ugly” person is in the reflection? Or bemoan how you are “too fat” or “too skinny”, “too dark”, “not dark enough”, “not smart enough”…
Or maybe you have let other people’s thoughts affect your own belief system and actions.
Have you ever questioned your natural hair journey because someone told you that you should “straighten your nappy hair”? Have you ever envied someone else’s natural hair because their hair is “naturally curly” instead of “kinky”?
Take away: This is all baggage that is rooted in a lack of self-esteem and confidence. Decide today that you are going to work on reclaiming your confidence, and natural beauty, just like Ms. Davis did. Here’s how:
- Write down everything that makes you feel insecure. Recognizing and admitting to our weaknesses is one of the first steps towards regaining our self-confidence.
- Catalog the things about yourself that you are proud of. Just as it is important to recognize what we perceive to be as our shortcomings, it is even more important to recognize all of the wonderful things about us that make us who we are. Nothing is too miniscule to add to this list.
- Banish negative thinking through positive reinforcement. Whenever negative thoughts or perceptions seep into your conscious, replace those thoughts with positive ones; even if you don’t believe the positive thought. Research shows that negative thinking can be eliminated through the practice of replacing the negative thought with a positive one. Daily positive affirmations are a great way to incorporate positive affirmations into your life.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- DIY Yogurt Recipes to Improve Your Natural Hair Health
- Natural Hair Curl Pattern Envy – Loving The Hair You Have
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- Biracial Bias in the Natural Hair Community
- Are Natural Hair Wash and Go’s For Everyone? Pros and Cons
- Atlanta Photography Duo Kahran and Regis Bethencourt Post “AfroArt” Photos of Natural Girls and go Viral
- We Love Felicia Leatherwood Month – Natural Hair Tips and Strategies from the Natural Hair Master
- Don’t Believe The Hype: 6 Untruths About Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 007: Homemade Natural Hair Products Versus Store Bought Products
- NHCN Podcast 0011: Commentary – Making Natural Hair Acceptable Takes An Obscene Amount of Time
- YouTuber Does Big Chop in Vietnam!
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College