Solutions For Natural Hair Shrinkage
Shrinkage is a problem for many naturals. The natural makeup of curly and kinky hair is what makes it shrink as it dries. This is a problem because it makes detangling and styling hair a lot more difficult and frustrating.
The blow dryer is the go-to solution for many naturals but stretching hair using heat all the time is not recommended because it can be damaging to hair. And heat-damaged hair is impossible to repair. So what to do?
Black Naps suggests the following solutions that can make dealing with hair shrinkage a little easier:
- Choose the right conditioner for your hair to make it easier to comb through
- Try styling your hair after it has air-dried instead of while it is still wet
- Stretch by pineappling your hair
I have to say, in terms of tip #2, it never dawned on me with the severe shrinkage I was getting with my go to style – the wash n go (and an occasional wet twist) – I was causing more than normal detangling issues and hence more breakage.
It makes sense though when I see my sister Dianne’s hair growth versus my own even though I started my journey well before she did. I always chose the previously mentioned options. She the twist and braid outs. Although my styling option looked good I was loosing hair on the regular. She was retaining hair… on the regular.
Now that I’m following her lead and the advice of other respected bloggers I’m actually seeing the results with my current desire for fullness and length.
Read more about these shrinkage solutions, as shared by fellow Naturalista, Black Naps here.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- 3 Hair Loss Problems Caused By Natural Hair Care Practices
- Hair Loss, Hair Gains: One Woman’s Story
- Alopecia and Me: Living with permanent hair loss
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- Nourishing Dry Brittle Hair from Within
- “Sage” Wisdom for Coloring Your Natural Hair
- Signs Your Hair Needs a Protein Treatment
- Treat Your Natural Hair With Care – 6 “Do Now” Strategies for Head Turning Hair
- Readers’ Spotlight: Wen Hair Product Review – Sundra Oakley
- Natural Hair Breakage? Here Are 4 Reasons Why Your Hair Is Breaking
- NHCN Podcast 0011: Commentary – Making Natural Hair Acceptable Takes An Obscene Amount of Time
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here