Do You Find the Term “Nappy Hair” Offensive?
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
We recently posed the following question to our 900+ Natural Hair Facebook community:
Click on the comments bubble to read responses
We got some interesting responses, but not the responses that we had first expected… Most people were not offended by the term “nappy” when describing their natural hair.
A lot has changed over the last several years.
I can remember as a child that telling someone that they had “nappy” hair was like saying a dirty word; one that cut to the very heart of a black woman’s perception of her beauty and self-esteem.
We know that there is a history behind why a five letter word has so much power. The pressure to conform to European standards of beauty was deep-rooted. But based on many of the responses, we’ve come a long way since the 1970’s.
We decided to poll our Natural Haircare News visitors who may not be on Facebook. What do you think? Is the word “nappy” an offensive word to you?
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Nappy Hair – The Other “N” Word?
- Senegalese Women’s Group Called “N’happy Galsen Find The Beauty In Their Natural Hair
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- Why It’s Wrong to Call Your Hair Nappy
- Video: ‘Can I Touch Your Hair’ – The Endless Fascination With Black People’s Hair
- Engage Your Daughter on Her Natural Hair Journey – Here’s How
- The Choice Is Yours
- Smithsonian Event Grapples With Black Women’s Relationship With Our Hair
- NHCN Podcast 005: Embracing Our Own Standard of Natural Beauty
- A Lost Black Man: A Natural Hair Perspective
- The Brothas Speak Out On Natural Hair and Beauty
- Hair Is Too Nappy For The Workplace?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair