An Historical Perspective on Black Hair In America
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Do Chemo Caps Really Work On Natural Hair? Trish’s Chemo Hair Loss Journey - June 20, 2017
- Take the #BlackSalonProblems Survey - June 2, 2017
- How to Care for an African American Child’s Natural Hair - May 3, 2017
Here is an article that transcends the usual buzz around styling and managing black hair and sheds some light on the social, political, and historical aspects of Black ethnic hairstyles and the impact on White America: What the Evolution of Black Hair Says About White America Today.
The author, Jamilah King touches on the cultural appropriation controversy that we highlighted in the article, Cultural Appropriation of Black Hairstyles Creating a Buzz but then dives deeper into the history of black hair offset by great pictorials.
You can read the full article here:
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
- Taking Split Ends To Task – Do You Really Have To Cut Split Ends?
- From Natural to Straight to Natural Again: The History of African American Hair
- The Choice Is Yours
- Afros: A Natural Hair Exhibit
- Embracing Our Own Standard Of Beauty
- Toddlers Left Home Alone While Mom Gets Her Hair Done Die In House Fire
- Porcha and Sami: Natural Haircare News Amazon Gift Card Survey Winners!
- Two Lucky Winners of Our Fall, 2014 Natural Hair Products Survey Will Be Announced Soon!
- Video: Natural Hairstyle Evolution Over The Last 100 Years
- Smithsonian Event Grapples With Black Women’s Relationship With Our Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace