Sheryl Underwood Apologies for Negative Comments on Afro Hair, Reveals Her Natural Hair on Air [Video]
A while back, we shared a story on the swirl of controversy surrounding comedian Sheryl Underwood’s comments on the show The Talk about natural hair.
Underwood is one of the co-hosts of The Talk, and back in 2013, she referenced afro hair as being “nasty”.
To be fair, let’s put the comment into some context. In response to a story on Heidi Klum where Heidi describes saving the hair of her biracial children, Sheryl chimed “Why would you want to save afro hair?” She continued to state:
“You can’t weave Afro hair, you don’t never see us at the hair place going, look here, what I need, I need this curly, nappy, beady hair, that just seems nasty.”
And the icing on the cake comment in response to another co-host that the host also saves her children’s hair:
[Sarah Gilbert’s kids] “…probably have that beautiful, long, silky stuff… that’s not what an afro is.”
To Sheryl’s credit, she did apologize on the Steve Harvey Show for her comments but it left a bad taste in many mouths.
Fast forward to 2015. It seems that time can mellow viewpoints. Recently, Sheryl revealed her own natural hair live on her show “The Talk” and more importantly, Sheryl shared a powerful apology to the black community:
“I made some statements that were not only wrong, they hurt our community and when I say our community black people are very sensitive about a discussion about our hair. And in my comments and trying to explain but it was juxtaposed against statements that were very very hurtful. And to come out of the mouth of a very proud black woman… I was wrong. And I wanted to take the time to apologize; especially in the forum that this discussion occurred; because there was a lot of backlash…”
Is her apology 2 years too late or does it even matter? We learn a lot through retrospection. Watch the full five minute video to hear the rest of Sheryl’s extremely powerful apology.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Lupita Supports Kheris Rogers’ “Flexin’ In My Complexion” Campaign
- Biracial Bias in the Natural Hair Community
- What Type of Black Man Loves Natural Hair?
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- Trouble Finding an Afro Kinky Wig- My Chemo Hair Loss Journey
- Video: Top 10 Chemo Hair Loss “Aha” Moments
- A Lost Black Man: A Natural Hair Perspective
- Why I’m Sharing My Cancer Journey [Video]
- A Bag Full Of Afro Kinky Hair – Look Good Feel Better [Video]
- I’m Losing My Natural Hair [Video] – A Naturalista’s Cancer Hair Loss Journey
- Shedding: “I Am Not My Hair”
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here