Beauty Salons and The State Of Your Health
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
Hair professionals and patrons alike are at risk when it comes to the beauty salon.
In an unregulated industry where workers in particular are consistently being exposed to known carcinogens and other harmful ingredients with devastating outcomes, Black Women for Wellness and the Healthy Hair Initiative Project, plan to change that through awareness and empowerment.
Research has shown high rates of poor reproductive health, including uterine fibroids and miscarriages, linked to the use of hair relaxer products. And one article talked about the ergonomic issues stylists are faced with through hours of repetitive motion that comes from braiding and weaving.
It was also noted that among women of color these issues are heightened due to a chemical industry focused towards women with “ethnic hair” (a $9 billion dollar industry) coupled with the importance of hair – and societies response to it – in Black culture.
If you thought you were possibly causing yourself or your young daughter(s) to be prone to premature puberty or to cancer, through estrogen-altering chemicals, would you continue to give her those chemicals?
Most likely not.
One of my favorite quotes states; a mind once expanded can never go back. I hope in this case, for obvious reasons, that is true.
If you are someone still on the fence about transitioning to natural, at least get the information, and make a conscious sound decision for yourself, whatever it is, when it comes to your hair and your health. If you’re already a naturalista, spread the word, without judgement, on the dangers of chemicals.
For more in-depth information on the subject go here. And thank you Black Women for Wellness, for being such strong advocates for black women’s health – mind, body and spirit.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- How Toxic Is Black Hair Care- A Wake Up Call
- Feeling Hoodwinked and Bamboozled With Your Hair Product Choices?
- What Are The Worst Things You Can Do To Your Natural Hair? Here Are Four You Might Be Guilty Of
- Why Is My Hair Not Growing? Reasons Why Your Hair Is Stubbornly Short
- A Black Doll with Crossover Appeal – Building Our Children’s Self Esteem and Educating The Masses
- Five year old Maleigha’s Natural Hair Salon Adventure
- Everyone Ain’t Supposed To Be Natural
- Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- More Reasons Why Chemically Treated Hair Poses a Danger to The Health of Black Women
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- Unsure About Transitioning to Natural Hair? 6 Benefits to Going Natural
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace