The Politics of Hair: Choosing Between Straight or Natural Hair on the Job [Video]
Latest posts by Dianne Austin (see all)
- Entrepreneur Tonya Cross Is Making Waves in the Natural Hair Space: NHCN Podcast#0026 - November 4, 2017
- Part 2: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0025 - September 27, 2017
- Part 1: Alopecia, Hair Loss and More: A Candid Conversation About Our Hair with Dr. Shari Hicks Graham NHCN Podcast #0024 - September 25, 2017
Here’s a real life situation on the topic of natural hair in the workplace that we dish about here at Natural Haircare News: The challenges that black women face every day that choose to wear their hair natural on the job.
TV anchor Angela Green with Greenville North Carolina’s WNCT TV presented a dilemma via video facing station intern, Madison Jaggers on the television station’s Facebook page. Madison, 19, a second year college student has a head full of natural curls. The dilemma presented: Does the audience think that Madison should straighten her hair for an upcoming production project that Madison would appear in? (Note: It’s not clear whether this video project is with WNCT TV).
Based on the posted video conversation, (below), Madison was told in preparation for production that her hair is “too big” and that she needs to “straighten it out”. The intern was also told that her big hair would “be distracting”.
What Do You Think?
TV anchor Angela Green’s personal advice to Madison and I’m paraphrasing: It’s what the boss wants so for the sake of the project, Madison should straighten her hair. Angela also added that she understood that this response would not bode well with many, which is why she was curious as to what the audience thought.
The video has gone viral and has sparked a wave of debate over the ongoing issue of natural versus straight hair in the workplace.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- Are Black Women Being Punished for Wearing Their Hair In Its Natural State?
- Politicians Who Rock Their Natural Hair
- Is Your Man Supportive Of Your Natural Hair? [Video]
- Naturalista Who Fought Off Cancer Now Fighting For Her Right to Wear Her Hair Natural
- [Video] Today Show Beauty Expert Turns Natural Hair Debacle Into a Learning Experience
- Natural Hair in the Workplace – Why You Still Can’t Wear It
- Coming To Terms With Losing My Natural Hair [Video]
- Why Tamron Hall’s Natural Hair is a Big Deal
- Video: Was It a Really Bad Camera Timing or Was QVC Hosts Mocking Natural Hair Model?
- 3 Funny Videos of Brothers and a Father Doing Natural Hair
- What Type of Black Man Loves Natural Hair?
- [Video] Pretty Little Naturalista Learns That Styling Her Hair Like Mom Takes Practice
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question