A Lost Black Man: A Natural Hair Perspective
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
I came across an interesting article speaking to the subject: “Do all Black Men Hate Their Nappy Hair”.
The writer wrote the article from a perspective, after apparently reading comments that Charles Barkley made (and has made throughout his career) about black people and image. Her assessment – he is filled with self-hate.
I’m always drawn to read the comments from the writers readership after such bold commentary. I think it can be just as telling what the prevailing thought is, not just regarding that specific article but in general, when doing so.
Depending on where we are in our evolutionary unfoldment and what life has wrought and taught us, good, bad or indifferent, we respond accordingly.
I think in this case some valid points go unheard. And whether we agree with everything a blogger or Op Ed writer has to say, (I did not in this case), it is their personal opinion and perspective after all, the question is, do we throw out the baby with the bath water?
In 2015, we are definitely still dealing with those who believe Blacks, (men and women), who wear their hair natural, need to run to the nearest relaxer kit, hot comb or barbershop. And there are as many reasons for that way of thinking as there are people.
Is Charles Barkley a “lost Black man”? As more and more, black women in particular, accept themselves in all their kinky glory, are there still that many more who don’t? The ones who don’t, are they conforming based on a conscious or unconscious, seemingly ideal approved of aesthetic, or just exercising their power of choice?
Dina Tuff sure has a lot to say about it. Check it out here and then come back and let us know what you think.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- The Choice Is Yours
- The Brothas Speak Out On Natural Hair and Beauty
- Nappy Hair – The Other “N” Word?
- Why It’s Wrong to Call Your Hair Nappy
- Are Black Men Missing From the Natural Hair Conversation?
- Why Are Black Women So Emotionally Tied To Our Hair?
- Cancer Support Resources That You Might Not Know Exist
- NHCN Podcast 0019: The Lucrative Hair Weave Market
- Is Natural Hair Still a Pejorative?
- 12 Years a Slave’s Lupita Nyong’o Delivers a Powerful Speech About Black Beauty
- YouTuber Shares Note of Caution in “Natural Hair Gurus Exposed”
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Transitioners Start Here
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective