‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic - December 3, 2016
- The Advice My Natural Hair Stylist Gave Me Every Naturalista Should Know - February 29, 2016
- ‘You Down Wit’ B-O-B? Black Owned Brands - January 11, 2016
One of the exciting things about this current natural hair movement is the plethora of new, as well as tried and true Black entrepreneurs, that are rising to the forefront and having major success.
What better way to pamper and care for your kinks and curls than with a brand that knows from experience what your locs need? What better way to support your community, near and far, than by buying from black owned and in most cases, female driven, natural hair product brands.
Some may think where they buy their products from and by whom doesn’t matter as long as it does the job and the price is right.
I can definitely get with that.
But I still keep on my radar those brands that speak to me from a shared cultural and nappy hair perspective. I feel empowered in that exchange. I think about a time when we didn’t have much of a choice.
I like having a choice.
A choice of moisture rich, texture enhancing, all natural products, with such ethnically rich names as, My Honey Child and Thank God It’s Natural (TGIN). Or product lines paying homage to family members, past and present, such as Miss Jessie’s, Aunt Jackie’s or Karen’s Body Beautiful. Even product lines all the way from the Motherland as in OBIA. It brings me joy to see them get their share of this billion dollar industry.
Honestly, do I shop for my hair products always exclusively seeking out BOB’s?
I do not.
I like convenience and a price that fits my budget at any given time, just as much as the next person. But usually, when given the choice, I’m inclined to get down with the BOB’s. There’s something truly natural (pun intended) about that.
Black Owned Brands. I love having a choice!
According to ‘Clutch Mag Online’ 16 popular black natural hair care brands are:
Koils by Nature
My Honey Child
Karen’s Body Beautiful
Jane Carter Solution
Black Earth Products
Visit our solution oriented, natural hair products store, to see what some of these Black Owned Companies have cooked up to enliven your kinks and curls.
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Natural Hair Care- the Rise of Natural Hair Products from the Era of Madam CJ Walker to Present
- How To Reclaim Your Forgotten Black Girl Magic
- Guest Post: Afro Love
- Natural Hair Regimen
- Natural Hair Event: Felicia Leatherwood’s Kurlz On Film
- Move Over Argan, Monoi and Jojoba Oil: There’s A Tried and True Staple That Boosts the Strength of Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 0011: Commentary – Making Natural Hair Acceptable Takes An Obscene Amount of Time
- Afros: A Natural Hair Exhibit
- How Embracing Natural Hair Boosts Self-Love and Confidence
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- Frizz and Natural Hair- What’s up with That?