Does Natural Hair Make You More Black?
Latest posts by Marcus Woods (see all)
- Why Natural Hair Should Be Acceptable In Every Setting - August 8, 2017
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place - July 25, 2017
- Why It’s Wrong to Call Your Hair Nappy - June 24, 2017
I woke up this morning, made my coffee and begin handling my business. As I was handling business, out of nowhere, a thought crept in my mind, “Does natural hair make you more black?” It’s an interesting question that really has no definitive answer.
For the past several years, most black women are kicking the perm kit to the curb and going back to natural hair. This natural hair movement (or revolution) is making waves not only in the U.S., but globally.
Personally, it is a movement that I adore! It is a movement that is galvanizing black women to be proud of their natural hair texture. I love it, love it, love it!
Being natural means that you are more black or down with the cause of empowering our community, right? Well…. not exactly. You see Ms., being natural is great (and very attractive to brothas such as myself) because you’re embracing your heritage and how you were created. However, rocking an Afrocentric hairstyle doesn’t mean that you’re down with the Afrocentric cause.
So how do I know if I’m more black? Well my natural hair sista, if you do any of the following 3 things, you are DEFINITELY down with the cause.
1. You Give Back to The Community
When was the last time you donated to a black family in need or a black business? I cannot tell you how many times I donated to a black family who loved one was killed. Also, I have donated to all four Hidden Color documentary series (If you haven’t seen Hidden Colors, please check them out!) and other black businesses/projects.
2. You Make It a Point to Do Business with Your Own
This next reason kind of piggyback off the first one. Unless you stay in Mayberry, I am sure there are some black businesses around you. Do you make it a point to patronize any of these businesses weekly basis? For our community to grow, we must contribute to our businesses. So instead of getting your nails done by Asians, go to a local black-owned nail salon.
3. You Don’t Criticize Black Women Who Aren’t Natural
One thing that irks me is seeing natural sistas criticize or belittle other sistas who isn’t natural. Listen, because a sista wears a Eurocentric hairstyle doesn’t mean their mindset is Eurocentric as well. In fact, a lot of “unnatural” black women have contributed greatly to the community. Besides, it’s just mean to hate on somebody for wearing their hair a certain way.
If you do all 3, then great! If not, then I suggest you do. Being natural doesn’t automatically give you a “black” card. But that’s just my 2 cents from a black man’s perspective. 🙂
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type? Visit our solution oriented natural hair products store.|
You May Also Like:
- The Power of the Afro Flower
- The Black Power Movements’ Influence on the “Natural Hair Movement”
- Locs – Another Natural Hair Styling Alternative
- Tales of a Hollywood Natural: NHCN News Podcast #0021
- The New Age Hair Revolution
- What’s All The Fuss About Natural Hair?
- The Daily Show Enlists Jessica Williams: ‘Operation Black Hair’ Tries To Educate White Army Men About Natural Hair
- 4 Things I Have Learned About Myself Since Deciding to Go Natural
- The Trend Towards Natural Hair Goes A Lot Deeper Than The Need To Be Free From Relaxers
- What Type of Black Man Loves Natural Hair?
- Myths And Misconceptions You May Have About Natural Hair
- Natural Hair News From Around the Web: 9 Things Some White People Don’t Understand About Natural Hair
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Transitioners Start Here
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- White Women with “Black Hairstyles”, Pictorial Raises the Consciousness Of Black Hairstyles in the Workplace