Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair - December 11, 2018
- Natural Hair Annual Events - December 8, 2018
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women - December 4, 2018
2017 offered many opportunities to watch the rise- and celebration of- natural hair in Hollywood. The natural hair lifestyle has not been embraced so openly by mainstream commercial media since the rage of wearing natural afros, which exploded in the 1970’s.
That is changing in a positive way as more and more, we see megastars rocking their natural hair on the red carpet and beyond. This movement has been shaking the fashion and beauty world- and forcing a needed reevaluation on its ideas of how beauty is defined.
Hollywood starlets have been showing off their natural hair all year long- and the fans are loving it! The Emmy Awards shined with Viola Davis, Gabrielle Union, Tracee Ellis Ross, and Susan Kalechi Watson- who were just a few of Hollywood’s favorites- dazzle the red carpet with their natural hair. These leading ladies were stunning head to toe in stylish, red-carpet worthy ensembles. The piece de resistance was their hair- perfectly styled with gorgeous, natural coils, curls, locs and fro’d tresses.
Of course, who could forget about Alicia Keys, who began to embrace the idea of all-natural beauty, galvanizing a no make-up, natural hair movement as she took her fans with her on her personal journey, which began in 2016.
When you’re a Hollywood star, plus a social media style and beauty influencer, like Zendaya- who killed her fro while accepting her Style Star Award at the InStyle Awards in 2017- natural hair begins to reach further than the red carpet. Younger girls and women that follow these influencers are beginning to educate themselves on natural hair and taking the plunge into going chemical-free.
Black-ish star Yara Shahidi ended the year on a natural hair high, as her vibrant, natural curls ran wild on the November/December issue of Seventeen Magazine. These young influencers are further proving that society’s long-defined idea of beauty-silky straight European hair- doesn’t define today’s independent, natural woman.
2018 should expect to see more celebs adopting natural hair as part of their beauty routine, as the natural hair movement and lifestyle continues to thrive and flourish.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
- 3 Reasons We Love Amara La Negra
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- Tyra Banks: My Natural Hair Almost Cost My Career
- Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years
- Carolina “Miss Rizos” Contreras Opens a Natural Hair Salon in the Dominican Republic!
- Erica Campbell Makes Case for Going Natural!
- Natural Hair Beauties that are Making a Difference!
- Tia Mowry Reminds Us Why She is a Natural Hair Guru!
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- Fans in Disbelief that Angela Simmons’ Natural Hair is Hers?
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Transitioners Start Here