Atlanta Photography Duo Kahran and Regis Bethencourt Post “AfroArt” Photos of Natural Girls and go Viral
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair - December 11, 2018
- Natural Hair Annual Events - December 8, 2018
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women - December 4, 2018
In the world of ‘breaking the internet’ by bearing it all- and then some- business partners (and married couple) Kharan and Regis Bethencourt are working hard to change the ideas of what a mainstream viral campaign should look like.
The owners of CreativeSoul Photography decided that they were tired of seeing girls with natural hair underrepresented- or negatively represented- in media and online. They were also frustrated by constantly hitting a brick wall with corporations that were not ready to embrace running campaigns that highlighted natural hair models. They even found that when they were casting models, parents would tend to straighten their girls’ naturally curly hair.
Motivated by the lack of a visual representation for these young women and inspired to help young girls embrace their beauty and feel empowered by doing so, the power couple launched the “AfroArt” series of photography. This series focuses solely on featuring African American girls ages 4-13 showcasing beautiful, flowing natural hair in all its glory.
The 25-photo montage was shot in different areas around the United States and includes themes like steampunk in NYC, crowned queens royally suited in Los Angeles and the Baroque era in Dallas- to name a few. The models are all adorned accordingly to fit the theme and their natural hair is styled in a variety of creative ways.
While it took over a year for the campaign to gain the momentum to go viral, it has taken off full throttle with the help of celebrity shout outs from celebs like Taraji P. Henson, Tia Mowry and Morris Chestnut. The couple is currently in talks about publishing a coffee table book in 2018 and other business ventures that have arisen because of the photo series.
You can check the AfroArt Gallery here.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- USA Today Explores the Natural Hair Movement’s Growth
- Husband’s Shocking Reaction to His Wife Perming Her Natural Hair!
- Jill Scott: The Queen of Natural Hair- A Look at Styles Through the Years
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women
- Exhibitionists Host Amanda Parris Shares her Joy and Pain of Wearing Natural Hair
- The NaySayers Were Wrong…Natural Hair Is Not Going Anywhere
- Natural Hair Beauties that are Making a Difference!
- Carolina “Miss Rizos” Contreras Opens a Natural Hair Salon in the Dominican Republic!
- The Politics Behind Natural Hair- What Kind of Statement am I Making?
- Hollywood Embraces Natural Hair- The Celebration of Natural Girls on the Red Carpet
- The Natural Hair Journey- How to Begin the Process of Going Natural
- Woman Shaves Head Bald After Weave Damaged Her Scalp
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here