New Natural Hairstyle Ideas for 2018
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair - December 11, 2018
- Natural Hair Annual Events - December 8, 2018
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women - December 4, 2018
Natural hairstyles are no longer restricted to a few minimal styles. Many of the currently trending styles featured for 2018 transform into additional looks when the braids and twists are removed. The Black Panther film has also revamped new styles with Wakanda-inspired flair. Here are some favorites for the year thus far to experiment with:
Braids and Curls
This look is timeless and can be worn with anything. Using an array of cornrows and intricate parts, you can achieve an intense look by braiding a portion of the hair and pulling the rest of the hair up into a full natural ponytail or pinning the braids and leaving the rest of the hair out.
Box braids are a good protective style for natural hair. Box braids offer a full range of versatility in styling- piled high, low or high bun, out, pinned to the side or up- the looks are almost endless. Style types also will vary depending on the size of the braids. After you remove the braids, you will have a full, textured crimp to your hair that can be rocked a couple days.
Faux locs are the newest, hottest way to experiment with the natural look of locs, without the actual commitment. Faux locs are another protective style that will cover the hair and allow it time to breathe and grow without exposure to the toxic environment. Styling options are similar in nature to box braids- up, down, twisted or styled according to size and length of the locs. When removing the locs, the twisted hair underneath will reveal amazing volume and springy curls that are full of life.
This is another look that we’ve seen take over the last few years. The faux hawk requires no shaving and is non-committal. Hair is pulled taut on the sides and pinned in the middle or even to the side for a sultrier version of the look. Another variation on this style is to braid the sides of the hair (one, or both) and pin the rest of the hair up tightly. Let the rest of the hair sit high in the middle of the head to achieve that full mohawk effect.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Frizz and Natural Hair- What’s up with That?
- Hair Nah- The Natural Hair Game
- The Effects of Celebrity Natural Hair Stylists’ Presence on Social Media
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Hair Video: Aqueela’s Shaved Locs
- Guest Post: Afro Love
- Video: Got Locs? Loc Curling Tips and Hairstyles
- Locs – Another Natural Hair Styling Alternative
- Where Do Braids and Locks Fit On The Natural Hair Spectrum?
- What do you think? Is Chemically Straightening Your Child’s Hair Child Abuse?
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- The Growing Popularity of Homemade Natural Haircare Products