Pushing the Boundaries of Natural Hair- Beyond Twist Outs and Bantu Knots
Latest posts by Qiana Williams (see all)
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair - December 11, 2018
- Natural Hair Annual Events - December 8, 2018
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women - December 4, 2018
If you’re struggling with finding different hairstyles to rock with your natural hair, you don’t have to feel frustrated. There are a number of new and fun ways to rock your hair when you think outside of the box. If you’re willing to diversify a bit, you’ll find that natural hair never has to be boring!
The ‘New’ Afro– If you’ve yet to experiment with the fro, there’s much more to it than wearing your hair in a full-on seventy version of the fro. Instead, try a big curly bouffant style like Amara La Negra rocks with such ease. This can work easily by slightly fluffing out the hair with a pick or comb after using rods or curlers, or after Bantu knots. Accessorize with flowers or floaty head jewels for a soft and adoring feel.
Also, note that natural hair usually falls in a triangular shape. Thus, go with- instead of against- the natural shape of your hair and try wearing your hair with angles and accessorizing with adorning headbands, jewels, and pins. You can opt to have your hair cut into this shape, or add the effect of a faux cut by angling the hair and brushing and pinning the rest down around it.
Don’t Be Afraid to Experiment with Color- Color is a great way to change up your look quickly, even if wearing the same hairstyle. When hair is cared for naturally, it is protected and strong, so adding color- the right way- won’t take away from the beauty or strength of your beautiful tresses. Avoid over processing and bleaching hair, which will make it brittle and susceptible to breakage. Spend a little more and instead, opt for naturally formulated, plant-based products that won’t damage your tresses.
Start with some highlights first if you’re not sure about committing to full-on color, and don’t be afraid to be bold! Always make sure to deep condition using a color enhancing conditioner to get the best out of your color and keep your hair soft, manageable and healthy.
Big, Crimped Hair– As easy as cornrowing your hair while it’s damp the night before styling, the amazing, naturally full crimp that is achieved once unraveling is easy to wear and versatile. It frames any face shape and adds volume and management naturally.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Black Panther Proves that Black Girls Rock- Favorite Natural Looks from the Black Panther Movie Screening
- YouTuber Does Big Chop in Vietnam!
- Are You Protective Styling Or Defective Styling?
- Reversing the Mistreatment of Black Hair
- Okay High Porosity Hair You Win!
- Kelis Gives Herself a New Haircut!
- New Natural Hairstyle Ideas for 2018
- Frizz and Natural Hair- What’s up with That?
- Resisting The Temptation To Relax Your Natural Hair
- Appreciating The Beauty of the Teeny-Weeny Afro
- Girl Forced to Dye Her Natural Hair
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College
- Transitioners Start Here
- To Trim Or Not To Trim – That Is The Question
- The Benefits of Hair Steaming For Natural Hair