How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair
- How to Reroute Uncomfortable Questions About your Hair - December 11, 2018
- Natural Hair Annual Events - December 8, 2018
- Lupita Nyong’o Inspires All Natural Women - December 4, 2018
As a natural woman, we tend to get uncomfortable questions about our hair regularly. There are many people that don’t understand the art of natural hair or wearing weaves, wigs, braids and other protective hairstyles. Often, these individuals will allow ignorance on the subject to compel them to ask inappropriate and uncomfortable questions.
When these situations arise, don’t blush or stammer your way through an answer. Don’t even allow yourself to get upset by the audacity of them to ask the question. Instead, completely reroute the conversation. Here’s an example that shows how to segue the conversation to suit your purposes.
Question: Is that your real hair? Answer: I think we have better things to discuss than my hair, don’t you think? Then, reroute the conversation to something more relevant to your scenario or to them. For example, if it were someone you work with, you could point out a project that you’re actively working on that is important to the company. Or you could point out something they need to do. (A little shade sometimes is necessary).
Any great salesman or leader in business knows the art of dominating a conversation and that’s the key in any of these scenarios. Another option to not answer the question and move the conversation along- or end it- is to flip it and ask them a question in response. Consider this type of scenario:
Question: Can I touch your hair? Answer: Would you be comfortable if I touched your face? No, right? That’s exactly how I feel about people touching my hair. What I can tell you though, is that it’s super soft because I use extra virgin coconut oil in it. Did you know there are so many different things you can use coconut oil for? It’s even a natural tooth whitener!
Don’t allow people to make you feel uncomfortable with their silly questions and statements. Keep your confidence and vibrations high and make the conversation go your way.
Author: Qiana Williams
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural. Not sure of which products are right for your hair type?|
You May Also Like:
- How to Dispel Common Misconceptions About Natural Hair
- Top Tips for Dealing with Black Hair Discrimination
- Guidelines vs. Discrimination- How far Can Corporations go in Dictating Hairstyles?
- Female TV News Anchors Forced to Wear Wigs to Cover their Natural Hair
- The Politics Behind Natural Hair- What Kind of Statement am I Making?
- A Toronto District School Board Principal Suspends Student for Wearing Curls
- How Does my Natural Hair Affect my Life in the Professional World?
- Girl Forced to Dye Her Natural Hair
- Tyra Banks: My Natural Hair Almost Cost My Career
- How to Work Through the Highs and Lows of the Natural Hair Journey
- Natural Hair and Bullying- What’s the Connection?
- Don’t Touch My Hair- The Obsession with Black Women’s Hair From Other Races
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College