Natural Hair Tips: Try These Strategies to Get Rid Of Grays Naturally
Gray hair isn’t limited to those of a certain age group. My brother actually started graying at age 13 while my first gray hair appeared in my 30’s.
Some of us love and embrace our gray hair while others are not quite ready to give in to the salt and pepper look just yet. Try these natural DIY hair remedies to get rid of gray hair naturally:
Don’t Throw Away Those Potato Peels
Put two cups of water in a pan. Add the peels of 5 potatoes. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, remove from heat and then let the mixture cool. Once your potato mixture is cooled, strain the liquid and place it in an airtight container. The liquid can be used as rinse after you wash your hair.
You’ll need loose black tea for this rinse. Bring 2 teaspoons of tea leaves to a boil in water, (try boiling approximately 2 cups of water). Remove the boiled tea from heat and let the mixture cool down. The water will darken as the mixture cools. Pour mixture on the hair in the final rinse.
Henna is a popular method to color grays. Some naturalistas have also shared that it stretches their curls.
Get a packet, (powder form) of body art quality henna. This is important since the versions of henna purchased in some drugstores and beauty supply chains are not 100% henna and are loaded with chemicals. Follow the directions on the package for mixing the henna before applying it to your hair. I like to mix my henna with a can of organic coconut milk instead of water which adds a lot of softness and shine. It also makes it easier to wash the henna out. Add enough coconut milk or water to make a paste then slather it onto your hair. Follow package instructions to determine the amount of time to leave the henna in your hair.
Remember that henna alone will give you red highlights. If you want a dark brown hair color mix henna with Indigo henna. If you want jet black hair, use Indigo henna only. For a deeper color and for hair with a lot of gray, you’ll need to leave the henna in your hair for at least 2 hours or more.
Here’s the henna that we use: Godrej Nupur Henna, 150 grams. You can learn more about how to purchase, prepare and use henna here: http://www.hennaforhair.com/.
Lemon and Coconut Oil?
I’m not sure how I feel about this tip. Lemon juice can be drying to the hair and I struggle with understanding how lemon juice darkens hair. Try this one at your own risk – 😉 .
Stir 3 teaspoons of lemon juice with 6 to 8 teaspoons of coconut oil and apply it to hair before shampooing. Leave on for 60 minutes and then wash the hair; preferably with a mild, sulfate free moisturizing shampoo.
Let us know by leaving a comment below if you have tried any of these remedies!
Tip ideas courtesy of The Times of India
|“Changing attitudes about natural hair” is what we do at Natural Haircare News. Through informative articles, podcasts and videos, we go beyond just sharing the latest advice and tips on kinky, curly, wavy haircare – We shake things up and focus on the realities of wearing our hair natural.|
You May Also Like:
- Frizz Prevention 101 for DIY and Anti Frizz Product Recommendations For the Rest of Us!
- Home Remedies for Frizzy Hair Straight From the Grocery Aisle
- Natural Haircare Dictionary: Natural Hair Definitions 101
- NHCN Podcast 0013: Do You Dislike My Hair?
- NHCN Podcast 002: The Hair Controversy – Gabby Douglas and Oprah Winfrey
- A Lost Black Man: A Natural Hair Perspective
- Guest Post: Afro Love
- Black Hair Care: Tips for Transitioning From Relaxed to Natural Hair
- NHCN Podcast 008: Embracing Our Identity – The Next Level Of Natural Haircare News
- How Toxic Is Black Hair Care- A Wake Up Call
- Why It’s Legal to Ban Natural Locs at Work
- Sheryl Underwood Apologies for Negative Comments on Afro Hair, Reveals Her Natural Hair on Air [Video]
Explore Our Website!
Let’s Stay In Touch
What Others Are Saying
Natural Haircare Topics
- How Do You Know If You Have Scab Hair? Pictures
- 6 Tips for Controlling Frizz in Natural Hair
- The Finer Things In Life: Tips For Fine Hair Naturals!
- Combating Fairy Knots In Natural Hair, (Single Strand Knots)
- Natural Hair Care and its Products- What’s Black-Owned and What’s Not
- Why Did Black Women Start Perming Their Hair In The First Place
- The LOC Method: 3 Steps For Happy, Moisture Rich, Natural Hair
- Mature Women and Natural Hair – A Photo Gallery
- Top 5 Sexy Natural Hairstyles: A Man’s Perspective
- Natural Haircare Training and Certification Available at a North Carolina Community College